Author Topic: help i'm running rich  (Read 2841 times)

leorn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: help i'm running rich
« on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:26:53 PM »
What head gasket are you using? Is it of an OEM thickness?
  not sure.  I'm assuming stock thickness as I ordered a complete new engine and asked that it be as close as possible to an exact replica of what the truck originally came with. 

Do you have an adjustable timing gear?
no

What kind of muffler are you running?
magnaflow.  2 1/4" all the way back.  high flow cat, not sure what kind

It could be that your cam timing is off, and that combined with the freeflow header and a freeflow exhaust, it could very easily be blowing out raw fuel during the end of the exhaust and at the begining of the intake stroke if the valve timing is advanced enough, which would also explain why it has a rough idle.
Idle is really smooth actually, but again I have to advance the timing and turn the maf 3 notches rich to achieve this.  Idles at ~1600 according to the smog guy.  Like I said when I turn it down the computer compensates and brings it back up.

How tight are your intake valves? What cam are you running?
stock cam.  valves should be set to stock.  I know exacltly what it sounds like when they get loose.  It would be good to check though.  That's gonna have to wait a couple of weeks with the holidays.

Do I need to change the stock cam out???  I am thinking you are on the right track as I believe it has run rich since I put on the header...but that was three years ago and it didn't require a smog where I was living.
Bring on EJS