Author Topic: Exhaust... why does it have to be so difficult.... especially when choosing???  (Read 7172 times)

Bass Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Oct '06
  • I came to the Dark Side.
    • View Profile
Man!  You guys are making it painful with your pricetags...  On my sammy, I got got $10 worth of 2" Exhaust pipe (5 feet to be exact) and a $21 Cherry Bomb...

I have heard that even though you can see through a Cherry bomb, it creates more backpressure than a 40 series.  They  did a test and got 3LBS of exhaust pressure on a Cherry bomb, and 8 lbs on a 40 series...  I guess they put the Bomb on backwords...

On my sammy, the Glasspack is half on the gas tank (not litterally, but from a sideview, that is what it looks like.) and so I finished off the system with a peice of pipe I found that looks like a tip already.  After that, It sounded really nice at idle--  really nice...  and it gave me 20% faster throttle responce.

Progressions in my exhuast system:
Took off the Cat and replaced with 2 1/4" industrial pipe (thicker than exhaust pipe) and gave me more power.
Straigh-piped 1 1/2" industrial pipe and sounded like a ricer, and it sounded Hick-fabbed and cheap.
Put on the glasspack and made it sound better, but noticed I was getting 15 MPG...  I knew why.
Bought 5 feet of 2" exhuast pipe to replace the industrial pipe.  Added a TON of power and LOTS of throttle responce, but it still sounded rice-y...  I knew why.
I finished it off with the indurstial pipe before and forgot about it...  Then remembered and cut it out of the tip to replace with a 2 1/2" tip...

With the doors off, going down the road, It will overpower everything you hear at 2500 RPM with a nice, clean sound, and at 4500 it starts to whine and sound like a ricer...  When you punch it from idle, it will get up to 6000 and at that time, you will be antisipating a "Flamethrower" from the sparks.  lol.
Stock 82 LWB on 33's welded in the rear.  Amazes me!  Been through 4 motors in 2 months though...