Author Topic: IFS Long Travel Suspension  (Read 30660 times)

BruceTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: IFS Long Travel Suspension
« on: Jul 29, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »
Is any one out there using the 4x4 Cam burg or Total Chaos Long travel IFS kits?
If you are
How do they perform?
Why didn’t you choose to do a SAS?

If you read my post keep or junk my Tacoma, my buddy just gave me an early birthday gift he gave me his IFS carrier from his wrecked 00 Tacoma and there are no cracks or any damage to this unit. With that good gesture from him it sent me into a tailspin, and now I am back up in the air about doing the SAS, since that I have discovered long travel IFS suspension systems and now that I got a good IFS carrier free of charge. I learned from your posts that Toyota’s IFS carriers are not weak I must have had a bad unit. The sad reality is no matter which setup I choose they are both going to be expensive just one is going to require a lot less work than the other. Could you please help me out.

I'm running the TC LT kit and my rig is my DD, so at the time there was no way I could go the SAS route. Way too much down time.....  My IFS suspension has never been the issue why I couldn't clear an obstackle, but simply not having enough breakover clearance. For hardcore rockcrawling SAS is the only way to go, for high speed dezert IFS long travel can't be beat. You need to decide what type of wheelin your into, then make a plan on upgrades. With all the recent information avaliable and custom parts it's getting easier to do a SAS. Either way it'll still cost $$$

The front diff is very weak and running open diff + wheel spin = broken carrier spider gears, unfortunately the IFS front drive train is too weak to handle a tire size larger than 35's, even then expect to break something if  pushed too hard playing on the rocks. If my rig gets retired as my DD and I no longer want to go fast offroad, I may cut it all off and install a pair of Diamond axles.....realistically speaking it would be cheaper for me to build a buggy instead, but the challenge of doing a full link coilover SAS intrigues me....

for 99% of the wheelin I do my rig does just fine, but for that 1% I've broke a RF axle going up SledgeHammer and jackshaft axle stub going up ClawHammer and a few others on different occasions.
99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker
Myspace
1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 & RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle

Don't Ask when I'm gonna go SAS, I'm not... I'll build a buggy first!