Author Topic: IFS Long Travel Suspension  (Read 30228 times)

Destruct O

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '06
  • You call me "Destructive" like it is a bad thing!
    • View Profile
IFS Long Travel Suspension
« on: Jul 08, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »
Is any one out there using the 4x4 Cam burg or Total Chaos Long travel IFS kits?
If you are
How do they perform?
Why didn’t you choose to do a SAS?

If you read my post keep or junk my Tacoma, my buddy just gave me an early birthday gift he gave me his IFS carrier from his wrecked 00 Tacoma and there are no cracks or any damage to this unit. With that good gesture from him it sent me into a tailspin, and now I am back up in the air about doing the SAS, since that I have discovered long travel IFS suspension systems and now that I got a good IFS carrier free of charge. I learned from your posts that Toyota’s IFS carriers are not weak I must have had a bad unit. The sad reality is no matter which setup I choose they are both going to be expensive just one is going to require a lot less work than the other. Could you please help me out.
Destruct O

toymachine

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since May '02
  • Marlin's the best....its that simple
    • View Profile
Re: IFS Long Travel Suspension
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »
Seems like you need to decide whether or not you want to do Baja stuff or Rock Crawl.   IF it is Baja (that's too bad :inthedark:) than you probaably want the long travel IFS.  If it rockcrawling you want, then do a SAS. 

As for your question about the Total Chaos kits.....my buddy has one of their kits on his '92.  He loves it, but he is upgrading to another kit of theirs.  He is selling his if you are interested for i think about $1800. 

I'll have him post up in the for sale section.
Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2006, 05:52:06 PM »
Is any one out there using the 4x4 Cam burg or Total Chaos Long travel IFS kits?
If you are
How do they perform?

If you read my post keep or junk my Tacoma, my buddy just gave me an early birthday gift he gave me his IFS carrier from his wrecked 00 Tacoma and there are no cracks or any damage to this unit. With that good gesture from him it sent me into a tailspin, and now I am back up in the air about doing the SAS, since that I have discovered long travel IFS suspension systems and now that I got a good IFS carrier free of charge. I learned from your posts that Toyota’s IFS carriers are not weak I must have had a bad unit. The sad reality is no matter which setup I choose they are both going to be expensive just one is going to require a lot less work than the other. Could you please help me out.

those long travel IFS suspensions are $$$$!! you're better off doing a SAS, I promise
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2006, 09:10:12 AM »
i experimented with long travel ifs for a while on my 87 runner, it was fun but heres how it breaks down=

lots of money...lots
if you break it, lots more money
it will never have as much travel as a well built sas
it is weaker, 21 pivot point compared to 6 or 8
less gear and locker options

mine was ok,i had a mixtutre of t100 parts and total chaos parts, but my sas design rides better on the street, flexes like mad, is about a billion times stronger, and safer.
and can still handle some off road speed.

like previously mentioned, it just depends on your preferance, but in the long run, no one can dent that sas is cheaper, stronger, and makes for a better all around off road vehicle

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2006, 02:52:45 PM »
Personally I love the look of them Baja race trucks.  The total chaos stuff looks pretty sweet, prob the best on the market, but pricey.  The flex looks decent in this pic, not as much as a good SAS, but still not bad, way better than stock IFS.
Welders Hold the World Together!

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:09:07 PM »
I am looking to build a well rounded wheeler.With the current situation my truck is in, it could go either way, SAS or Long travel IFS. They both will require a great deal of money and work, and since I live in a area were domestics vehicles are king, there are no Junk yards in my area that support foriegn vehicles, and I want to keep my truck as Toyota as possible. If I did go with domestics axels I will be going with a full size set both ends, what make should I look for Chevy, Ford or Dodge?

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2006, 09:55:02 PM by Destruct O »
Destruct O

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:23:39 PM »
there is a guy on yotatech with a 4runner, its got a long travel 4x4 setup and dual crawlers, i bet you, his truck goes anywhere he wants.... his name is bruce ts

when i got a newer truck, im going to go that route, sure a SA is tops for rocks, but i will end up spending most of my time on trails, im not that big into rockcrawling, and my truck will spend a lot of time on the streets as well..... i do a lot of high speed street driving and crazy urban wheeling stuff.... at the point i have a newer truck, i will also get myself an older beat to hell rockcrawler with a SA
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2006, 03:07:15 PM »
I'm an IFS fan myself.  It probably wouldn't beat a solid axle on the rocks but it can still make for a great all around 4x4.  I'd do a Total Chaos kit in a heartbeat if I had the cash.  I love their second gen kit.  It replaces the torsion bars with coil overs.  Freakin' sweet!
Welders Hold the World Together!

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:00:24 AM »
If me and the truck were going to be doing only mud bogs and rock crawls every chance we got then there is no doubt in my mind that a SAS would be in order. Trying to find the most cost effective solution but seeing the price of both systems it looks like cost effective went right out the window. If I went with a SAS leaf springs are on the top of my list, would love to be able to use coilovers they are sweet and they feel like IFS but cost and labor for someone to set them up properly for you is very expensive and the trials that me and my truck will be using (once fixed) has a little bit of everything they have special sections were it is all mud and a special section for all rocks.
Destruct O

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2006, 04:31:53 PM »
How "hardcore" of a wheeler are you?  Is this a weekend a month kinda thing, or do you go out a lot?  If you don't go out a whole lot, you might as well just run the stock IFS.  I'm still running the stock IFS on mine, and Its held up to a lot of :pokinit: 

If you want cost effective, that may be something to think about.  :think:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »
I am not hardcore at all not yet anyway, I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to being off road, I do get out once or twice a month if I am lucky.But just to have the only Tacoma in your area that is SASed or with a long travel IFS system would be so cool be not finacally sound by any means for the little time I spend off road. Know that reallity jumped up and bit me in the :moon: I am going to put in my buddies IFS carrier in and attempt that same hill that caused the trucks orginal unit to break and if it breaks again then I will do everything in my power to do a SAS even if it means to car pull with my co-workers. :yikes: What are some good budget friendly IFS systems that are good on the road and good off road.
Destruct O

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2006, 03:06:33 PM »
if you want to build your IFS a little, check out Downey's website.  I beleive they've got some HD torsion bars and arms for IFS. 

Honestly, the stock system is pretty stout.  I've got a pro comp stage 2 lift as well, and a lockrite locker in the front.  To cheaply wheel an IFS well, I'd just carry some spare axles (just in case) and throw in an aussie locker.  :thumbs:  you won't notice the locker in 2wd, so it'd be good for on road, and offroad, you'll enjoy it. 

-Ronald Reagan

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2006, 10:44:51 AM »
Downy has a lot of awesome stuff for vehicle years 86 to 95. They do not have to much as far as Tacoma Suspensions. How are those lockrites off road I heard that in tight corners you have to take your truck out of 4wd or unlock your manual hubs to make a tight turn. Is this true? I will have to check out those Aussie lockers
Destruct O

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »
Downy has a lot of awesome stuff for vehicle years 86 to 95. They do not have to much as far as Tacoma Suspensions. How are those lockrites off road I heard that in tight corners you have to take your truck out of 4wd or unlock your manual hubs to make a tight turn. Is this true? I will have to check out those Aussie lockers

I didn't know downey didn't have much for tacos, sorry. :hammerhead: 

I love my lockrite, haven't had any problems with it.  I have yet to hit a real tight turn where I've had to pull it out of 4 to complete the turn.  I guess it is possible, you definitely lose your turning radius, but In tight turn situations, I usually back up and turn it a little more, just so I can get through wherever I'm going straighter :dunno:

I say aussie because they're about the same price as lockrite, and the people that have run both claim aussie is a better locker, and they're customer service can't be beat (just as lilbuddy)

-Ronald Reagan

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2006, 03:23:53 PM »
I didn't know downey didn't have much for tacos, sorry. :hammerhead: 

I love my lockrite, haven't had any problems with it.  I have yet to hit a real tight turn where I've had to pull it out of 4 to complete the turn.  I guess it is possible, you definitely lose your turning radius, but In tight turn situations, I usually back up and turn it a little more, just so I can get through wherever I'm going straighter :dunno:

I say aussie because they're about the same price as lockrite, and the people that have run both claim aussie is a better locker, and they're customer service can't be beat (just as lilbuddy)

Thats ok blackdog. I did not know the ARB and lockright was the same in price. I will have to look into them more.
Destruct O

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2006, 03:28:35 PM »
Thats ok blackdog. I did not know the ARB and lockright was the same in price. I will have to look into them more.

Are you sure you're looking at the same things? I'm talking about the basic lunchbox locker.  about $250 or so.  ARB is like $800 isn't it?  or do they make a lunchbox locker as well?

-Ronald Reagan

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »
my two cents is only on the width of the new long travel, pushes the tacomas out to wide for being a tacoma. Other than that I'm a HUUUGE fan

arb..lunchbox...AAAAH HAHAHAHAHAH No way.  Air locker only. Great product, just pricey.

Lockrite and ausie lockers are the only two lunchboxers I know..unless you wanna go full spool...
They run..the said 250 or so..
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006, 11:03:35 PM by gabriul »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »
my two cents is only on the width of the new long travel, pushes the tacomas out to wide for being a tacoma. Other than that I'm a HUUUGE fan

arb..lunchbox...AAAAH HAHAHAHAHAH No way.  Air locker only. Great product, just pricey.

ARB is an air locker :dunno:

lunchbox lockers work fine for me.  Some of us can't afford the airlockers :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:14:25 PM »
who ever said I could afford even a lunch box... I use the fat pedal locker....

and if that doesn't work..I use the skinny pedal power.

I said arb was only air...

BruceTS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2006, 02:05:07 PM »
If you are
How do they perform?

I'm running the TC LT kit and my rig is my DD, so at the time there was no way I could go the SAS route. Way too much down time.....  My IFS suspension has never been the issue why I couldn't clear an obstackle, but simply not having enough breakover clearance. For hardcore rockcrawling SAS is the only way to go, for high speed dezert IFS long travel can't be beat. You need to decide what type of wheelin your into, then make a plan on upgrades. With all the recent information avaliable and custom parts it's getting easier to do a SAS. Either way it'll still cost $$$

The front diff is very weak and running open diff + wheel spin = broken carrier spider gears, unfortunately the IFS front drive train is too weak to handle a tire size larger than 35's, even then expect to break something if  pushed too hard playing on the rocks. If my rig gets retired as my DD and I no longer want to go fast offroad, I may cut it all off and install a pair of Diamond axles.....realistically speaking it would be cheaper for me to build a buggy instead, but the challenge of doing a full link coilover SAS intrigues me....

for 99% of the wheelin I do my rig does just fine, but for that 1% I've broke a RF axle going up SledgeHammer and jackshaft axle stub going up ClawHammer and a few others on different occasions.
99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker
Myspace
1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 & RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle

Don't Ask when I'm gonna go SAS, I'm not... I'll build a buggy first!

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2006, 08:49:56 PM »
Are you sure you're looking at the same things? I'm talking about the basic lunchbox locker.  about $250 or so.  ARB is like $800 isn't it?  or do they make a lunchbox locker as well?

OOPS I was looking at ARBs RD90 Front & RD89 Rear lockers are the same price 734.95 and the locker rite lunch box locker goes for 280.00 in my area. Wow lockers are expensive for the ARB lockers 1469.90 just for the lockers 219.95 for the compresor 148.46 for the front ifs 5.29 gear and 143.96 for the rear 5.29 gear. For a grand total of with tax 2101.21 this price is excluding labor for the lockrites gt with tax 606.77 once again labor not included :shocking: :thud:

Destruct O

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »
I'm running the TC LT kit and my rig is my DD, so at the time there was no way I could go the SAS route. Way too much down time.....  My IFS suspension has never been the issue why I couldn't clear an obstackle, but simply not having enough breakover clearance. For hardcore rockcrawling SAS is the only way to go, for high speed dezert IFS long travel can't be beat. You need to decide what type of wheelin your into, then make a plan on upgrades. With all the recent information avaliable and custom parts it's getting easier to do a SAS. Either way it'll still cost $$$

The front diff is very weak and running open diff + wheel spin = broken carrier spider gears, unfortunately the IFS front drive train is too weak to handle a tire size larger than 35's, even then expect to break something if  pushed too hard playing on the rocks. If my rig gets retired as my DD and I no longer want to go fast offroad, I may cut it all off and install a pair of Diamond axles.....realistically speaking it would be cheaper for me to build a buggy instead, but the challenge of doing a full link coilover SAS intrigues me....

for 99% of the wheelin I do my rig does just fine, but for that 1% I've broke a RF axle going up SledgeHammer and jackshaft axle stub going up ClawHammer and a few others on different occasions.

I want me and my truck to be able to do a little bit of everything.  Having a SAS Taco would be awesome, having a SAS Taco with full link coilovers would be the ultimate. The things deterring me is to do a SAS to my truck is the amount of money & work involved to make a 00 Taco into a S.A. But like you said, it would be cheaper to buy a rig with a solid Axel and build off of that. 
Destruct O

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2006, 05:34:31 PM »
I just ordered a diamond axle for my SAS. my reasoning was, theres nothing quite like not having to worry about it.   IMHO, if you plan to get more into the offroad scene in the near future, go with the SAS, just think, if you fix up that IFS, would you not worry about it everytime you stray from the pavement?  i know i would   :nerv:

sure it would be cheaper to buy an older truck with an SA, but i feel that the best part about having a built Daily driver is when you see that path off the side of the road and begin to feel adventerous, you can just go for it  :driving:

as for lockers, look into swapping in a TRD third for the rear with the electric locker (that is if you can find one from a yard). and for the front i decided to go with arb because when its off, its an open diff no questions asked, and when its on, its locked no questions asked, which just seems to make sense to me for a front axle
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006, 05:43:25 PM by Crawler677 »
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
I just ordered a diamond axle for my SAS. my reasoning was, theres nothing quite like not having to worry about it.   IMHO, if you plan to get more into the offroad scene in the near future, go with the SAS, just think, if you fix up that IFS, would you not worry about it everytime you stray from the pavement?  i know i would   :nerv:

sure it would be cheaper to buy an older truck with an SA, but i feel that the best part about having a built Daily driver is when you see that path off the side of the road and begin to feel adventerous, you can just go for it  :driving:

as for lockers, look into swapping in a TRD third for the rear with the electric locker (that is if you can find one from a yard). and for the front i decided to go with arb because when its off, its an open diff no questions asked, and when its on, its locked no questions asked, which just seems to make sense to me for a front axle

You are right crawler I will be worried about taking my truck off road road again with the IFS. Plus having a third vehicle on the insurance is a ridiculous when the vehicle is just going to sit there on the street and wait to be wheeled.
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2006, 10:30:24 PM by Destruct O »
Destruct O

pirate mafia

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 07, 2006, 05:34:31 PM »
ok LT suspensions and SAS suspensions are two different set ups the LT is for going fast and hitting whopps and jumps mostly baja. it wil do ok on a trail but it cant compare to a well set up solid axle, in the rocks and where you need flex

the SAS is used for rockcrawling, flex, and trail riding that sort of stuff.

so you have to ask your self what type of wheeling am i going to do?

both are pretty expensive, and have there indaviduale advantages and disadvantages
01 tacoma DD
99 supercharged runner SAS dana 44 ox locker chromos, mc09,snorkel,ARB bumper, 9000winch
sami powerd buggie fox shocks and 4linked all around on toyota axles, 6.5:1 t-case,108" wheelbase 95% tubed,and lots of scares