Author Topic: Gotrocks Dream build  (Read 18188 times)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gotrocks Dream build
« Reply #30 on: Jul 24, 2006, 09:45:58 AM »
what i want to know chris...is how in Gods name can you afford all this stuff??? my runner took me a year and its my last toy ever...wanna adopt me?

well when It came to affording it with my 4runner I had my current built one from my daily driver and my built 87 at the time just had a bad rebuild on the engine so I didn't have to spend any money on it to get it running.  I also had 2 other trucks that I sold off and made some money off of. So yeah my 4runner really didn't cost me anything to build.

This buildup I took a loan out to build.  I had been talking to my Dad about building up my 84 Ex cab that I traded my roomate rent for and when i started to add up all of the parts and costs it was getting a little over my budget that I had.  I wanted to build it up like Shambs and truggy it out.  I was wanting to link the suspension and do all that stuff.  Well I haven't done that yet and I don't feel comfortable to do something that big until I have seen or helped someone else build one from start to finish and know that it wouldn't be unstable and unsafe.  My dad agreeded with that and so I called up SN Fab and asked them how much it would be to setup a linked suspension.  2 grand for each end. That was way more than I wanted to spend and so I asked them how much their chassis was.  $2500 for the chassis.  From then on it seemed like the logical way to build it because by the time I bought a bender and started to bend all the tube myself and buy DOM material I would have almost that into my cage work, not even considering the cost of my suspension.  My dad told me that he would help co-sign on a loan with me so that I could build this current project.  No its not coming all out of my pocket at one time. 

Sorry for the long explanation but thats how.