Author Topic: The official "I'm a packrat" thread  (Read 7012 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: The official "I'm a packrat" thread
« on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »
Good guesses!  The 2 um....more complete are 77 xr75s, though the cushioned hubs and speedo tab makes me think one was an xl.  The odd thing is both the front and rear wheels have cush drive, which is something I've never seen, the front being cushioned I mean.  The other is an 81 xr80 frame, but there's not much there I'll end up using probably.  The torched bike has bent forks, so the 81 will probably be the doner.  I have a pretty nice 78 xr75 already, had it since the mid 80 and it was my first bike.  I've thought about selling it a couple of times, but luckily never got weak enough.  I'll hafta go snag it once I start the rebuild on one of these for a good referrence. 

I'm thinking longer travel forks, longer shocks and extend the swingarm.  Atleast I have 3 to work with, so if I mess one up no biggie!  About 14 or more years ago I tried to commission a guy to build me an aluminum frame for these, but he said it would just be far too expensive and difficult, but if I had a good tig I'd build a jig and see what I could do.  My aspirations have always been way more grand than my skills. 

As for the engine, I want more power, but I wanna keep it dependable.  It seems like I remember you can run an xr100 carb, which is maybe 2mm bigger or so, and bolts right up.  I think 105cc is the limit, but 85-90 should still be safe.  Extra head and jug means one to play with porting, and potentially mess up.  I have an extra head pipe from my original one, broke off right in front of the muffler many moons ago, sounded pretty cool too!  I'm thinking of fabbing up my own with a nicer muffler and a slightly bigger header, but that could be a pretty big pipe dream (get it?!).  I'm not sure how much power the bottom end can take, so I don't wanna go crazy, just make a fun pit or trail bike.  Something to practice wheelies with too, depending on how ratty it comes out.  I just hope I can find a tank that's in good shape, don't wanna be doing too much work on one.

That's enough blabbering from me.  If anybody has a neighbor or family member with one of these, or something similar, they wanna get rid of, lemme know.  You can never have too many parts!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!