Author Topic: Transfer Case Repair Question  (Read 7856 times)

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
Re: Transfer Case Repair Question
« on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
Man, it's been a while since I started this thread, but I finally made some progress. I cracked open a spare RF1A transfercase to get the shift rail I need to fix my turbo case. I just wanted to check in to get some feedback. I want to be come familiar with these units so I can learn to rebuild and upgrade them in the future and not just dissemble and trash them. I opened the case as BigMike advised (see picture below). Then I removed the 4wd switch, the detent ball and spring,  and then drove the roll pin out of the shift fork. Piece of cake!

Later I'll get a shift rail to fix the donor case so I can use it in the future.

Right now I want to get the case sections back together so I can store it safely. It looks simple enough but I have two questions. One of the oil pipes is loose and fell out and an extra ball fell out of somewhere (the smaller ball in the picture below) I think the FSM shows a ball related to the speedo gear, which I took off for a moment, but i didn't see it come out so I'm not sure where it came from. How hard is it to align the oil pipes to align back into their spots on the rear housing when putting the housing back together?

Also I noticed that there is a notch on the opposite side of the shift rail from the two that the detent ball rides on. Is that an interlock system that stops one rail from moving when the other rail is in a certain range of motion? Is it just a pin between the two rails or is there a spring or ball that I didn't notice on that side too? Thanks for the assistance. -- Matt

1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue