Author Topic: Computer vs. Hot Chocolate (replacement advise)  (Read 3830 times)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Computer vs. Hot Chocolate (replacement advise)
« on: Oct 17, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »
An electrical engineer buddy of mine said that AMD (what her old computer has) tends to over clock their processors from the factory to increase speed while keeping cost down and this can increase hardware lockups, so that might explain why her computer liked to lock up frequently.  I have also heard the theory that when companies are building "budget" computers with low cost hardware they ususally have an AMD processor due to lower cost which can make it seem like the AMD computer are not as good when it is a combination of factors.

I am no expert, I just know what I have been happy with in the past.

p.s. the Sony has been ordered. another great place to shop is the dell outlet online.

Just to be the asshat in this discussion, I have never seen an AMD in a budget computer.  The last computer I built (the one I'm typing on now) has an AMD, and I will never, ever go back to an Intel chip.  The problem with AMDs, IMHO, is the motherboards.  To get a good one, you have to spend more than for a comparable Intel board, but the trade off is well worth it.  The AMD I bought cost more than the similar P4 when I built this pig, as well.  I guess it just goes to show that you get what you pay for.