Author Topic: gears  (Read 6240 times)

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
Re: gears
« on: Oct 08, 2005, 11:28:10 AM »
right now the truck is bone stock with 4.10's and the motor, (other then the exhaust header and system) is bone stock as well. its got about 5K on the new motor. i know its over geared at the moment as it sits. heres another thing though, im kind conservitive when it comes to highway driving and dont plant my foot in it to move. im sure if i mashed the throttle it'd do 80 no problem.

i think coyote has a poit though in the cam... ive been also looking into squeezing a few more ponies and some torque out of it so i belive the comp cam (52 S i think??) would be a more then moderate increase in power. ive heard a few things on em and seems like they are the highest gain for power mid range, and dont hurt the low end. i have never used 5th when pulling a trailer wich is pretty much (OD) in the tranny. i know using a toyota p/u with relatively stock gears and 35's isnt the best choice but, i work with what i have.

the concern i have between 4.88's and 5.29's is that i dont wanna top myself out in the freeway doing 65 at 3000 rpm's with the 5.29's. i know that once the moror has a less gear load on it it will spin bit more happy correctly geared. id like it to where 5th is closest to 3000 rpm's running at 70 wich i belive is where a stock truck ran in 5th. i do belive the 5.29's will give me more acceleration and power though i also need the economy.

i do however agree with everyone that dual cases would be the BEST modification to utilize off road. i would hope to do this someday in the very near future once i recover finances around here :greengrin: for right now, im trying to make this truck look,drive, and feel like new. its almost there so as i go along im trying to sort through the best options as i come across these situations. BLUETOY you do have a point though, i need to go find someone with 5.29's installed and take a ride to see what it does.

far most, thanks for all your help guys, you dooods rock! :heavy: