Author Topic: Budders' 3rz conversion- getting fiberglass bedsides!  (Read 72808 times)

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Budders' 3rz conversion
« on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:54:10 PM »
Sure Mike, here is some more infor for ya. 
I bought this truck from a kid in Palmdale and the motor blew a headgasket the next day on the way to work.  So, I pulled the head to find that the block had been borred out .080 over and the cylinder walls were scored as well.  I really didn't want to start a conversion this soon, but I figured better now than later.

I found the 3rz with the ecu,engine wiring, engine bay wiring, clutch, bellhousing, dash harness, all evap pipes and canister as well as all engine accessories for $1500.  This is out of a 2004 Taco prerunner w/ auto trans and the clutch and bellhousing are from a 2rz from the junkyard.  I'm just looking to get it running for now and then swap in a clutch and flywheel from a 3rz.  I fabbed my motor mounts like Big Mike did on his blue and white truck and bolted the motor up.  Right now, I have the engine harness out pending surgery although, I'm still waiting for my buddy to send me the '85 factory manual on disk before I have the wiring finalized. I had it towed to an exhaust shop about a week ago and they made a real nice crossovver pipe with the factory cat and pre-cat (just in different positions).  I;m planning on using the '85 charging system.  I modified the back of the taco alternator by changing the regulator to the old style round type plug and augured out the back cover a bit so it would fit right.  I'm planning on using a '85 truck a/c compressor w/ a 2nd gen mr2 a/c clutch (because it has the same amount of ribs as the taco, but will bolt to the "85 compressor).  Right now, I'm scratching my head to figure out the fuel lines and clutch hard line.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Future projects on this truck will include:
-onboard air
-new front and rear suspension
-installation of prp racing seats and new seatbelt harnesses
-installation of factory inclinometer from a 4-runner
-fabrication of new rear bumper w/swing away tire carrier w/jerry can holder and rock guards at the corners

I will send more pics asap. 

Mike, if you need pics of a complete and running taco,  I have a '02 2wd taco with a 2rz as my DD and would be willing to take pictures for you.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"