Author Topic: Excessive Backlash on Rebuilt Differential - where'd I go wrong?  (Read 1419 times)

TyGuidry

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My Detroit has never made the ratcheting sound, so I would not expect your “copy” to either.

The lunchbox locker are known for the noise, but it happens when they are installed in the rear end.
That's good to know, thanks.
If you are hearing "noise" during acceleration there may be something not right.

The ratcheting can be caused by a differential in the resistance at the axle shaft - for example: via a tire... like one tire has a significant lower PSI. Or... a brake drum is dragging.

If there is a clunk sound at the very beginning of acceleration (the slop being taken up) after coasting, that was normal in my rear end Detroit Locker.

I don't recall a "noise" while driving normally, or accelerating normally.

I do recall a mild clunk noise at acceleration after coasting depending upon how throttle I used.

If you are really concerned, then you might want to have an expert diff guy pull it and check it out.

As I remember, and it's been a long time... installing a Detroit Locker was a different procedure than installing a Lock Right.

I did NOT attempt to install the Detroit, but I did install my 2 Lock Rights.

Gnarls. :usa:

No noise "during" accel. only when slack is abruptly taken out of the driveline. Basically when transitioning abruptly from on/off throttle. Like I said before, at speed the diff makes no noise whatsoever. Doesn't vibrate, whine, humm, nada. It's just when transitioning from accel/coast and vise versa.

The more time I've spent dwelling on this issue the more I've come to realize that its geometrically not possible that my ring and pinion would be so far out of whack that they'd cause all this slop. It just doesn't make sense. If I can relegate all of this clunking to the mechanical functioning of a brand new out of the box mech locker than I can rest easy, i guess. All that said, I will most likely go with a selectable in the rear sooner rather than later because of this experience..