Author Topic: gear backlash... please help  (Read 1294 times)

foryota281

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
gear backlash... please help
« on: Aug 06, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Hey im putting 5.29 diff gears in a open 4cyl third... i have the pinion in and i get the backlash to .008 but when i tighten my caps down everything changes... is there something im doing wrong??? and is there a torque spec to tighten the adjusting not on the other side of the ring gear or how do u get the right preload on the bearings??? this is my first time doing a rear but im not totally clueless :help:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography

ZUK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 168
  • Member since Nov '02
    • View Profile
    • ZUK's Gear installs
Re: gear backlash... please help
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »
Hey im putting 5.29 diff gears in a open 4cyl third... i have the pinion in and i get the backlash to .008 but when i tighten my caps down everything changes... is there something im doing wrong??? and is there a torque spec to tighten the adjusting not on the other side of the ring gear or how do u get the right preload on the bearings??? this is my first time doing a rear but im not totally clueless :help:

Make sure the threads are properly meshing.....then with both Adjuster wheels set loosely, take a hammer and tap on the bearing cap(the top piece)....tap on it while you are snugging the 2 17mm bolts with a wrench. Tap fast and turn the wrench slooowwww. Let the wrench get each side very snug.  The reason for tapping on it is to shock and synchronize the threads on the wheel with the threads on the carrier. Once that is done, then tighten the bolts to spec(75 ft/lb).
       If the threads are all lined up nicely you will be able to turn the wheels with a short spanner tool. Try to stay away from the chisel and hammer method. It screws the wheel notches up and you never get any decent preload with that method anyways.
Tap on top of the bearing cap after making any adjustment of the wheel....it will help equalize the bearing tensions from left to right side.  For a painted pattern check, it is not necessary to truly crank the wheel all that tight....get em snug.  I like to rotate the pinion itself back and forth while banging fairly hard on the bearing caps....that way, I know the bearing tensions are equal.
Post your pics!   :)  ZUK
           www.gearinstalls.com
2001 White Xtracab Taco 3.4L Auto TRD
88 Runner/V6/auto/31"/5.29gear

foryota281 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Re: gear backlash... please help
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2008, 12:22:46 AM »
hey thanks i was actually on your site to find some info but i guess im dumb and didn't fully understand i guess i will try that tomorrow and give it a shot