Author Topic: rear differential excessive backlash?  (Read 9684 times)

smartmonkey

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
rear differential excessive backlash?
« on: Apr 21, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »
   Howdy, I'm new here to the forum and I'm already up with a question....i'm running a 93 4x4 with a relatively new differential from randys ring and pinion, after 28.000 miles there seemes to be excessive backlash between pinion flange and axle....would worn axle splines at the diff- be the cause of this..no noise yet. the stock original axles have 250.000 miles where as the diff has 28.000. Only gray powder and powder fine metal on the mag plug in the differential.. All input welcome......Thanx in advance///Steve

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: rear differential excessive backlash?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2007, 07:00:32 PM »
could  but  im 99% sure  its not  the axle splines,   pull the drive shaft and  see if  you can tighten the pinion nut

if that doesnt help  you have to pull the 3rd  from the housing  to adjust  the carrier bearings
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »
do you have a detriot locker?

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8341
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2007, 11:07:12 PM »
Crush sleeves just don't seem to hold up well when running a detroit. I know from my own experience. It is less common for a crush sleeve to "loosen up" with a non locker diff. Does the pinion have noticeable play when you try to rock the yoke sideways? In & out?
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

smartmonkey [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2007, 04:55:25 AM »
No nothing noticeable in or out, or side to side...no leaks at the seals either, Is it difficult to adjust back lash? I have a Toyota FSM but no dial gauges..........getting ready to take it out soon :inthedark:

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:18:32 PM »
See ZUK installs for good info. http://www.gearinstalls.com/
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »
why does a detroit mess with the crush rings? i have a detroit in mine and i think i have that same problem. never knew the locker could be the cause
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »
the reason a crush sleeve will go faster  with a locker, be it  elocker, detroit,  spool  or  welded  is  because  the  wheels  are forced  to turn  regardless,  in a hi load  situation  the crush sleeve  has  no choice  but  to  "crush"  under the stress,   then causing a little slop in the pinion,  this can usually be fixed  temporarily  by  tightening the pinion nut  BUT  the only real fix  is  to replace the crush sleeve  with  a solid pinion spacer
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »
that play your talking about...how does it feel or sound? when im driving at highway speeds and i let off the gas i feel like there is some play, i hear some grinding when i let off and push the gas slightly, almost like a tranny not going into gear. this started after i got geared and locked. so is that the crush sleeve? if so where can you get the solid pinion spacer?
sorry to highjack the post...
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 07:28:04 PM »
that play your talking about...how does it feel or sound? when im driving at highway speeds and i let off the gas i feel like there is some play, i hear some grinding when i let off and push the gas slightly, almost like a tranny not going into gear. this started after i got geared and locked. so is that the crush sleeve? if so where can you get the solid pinion spacer?
sorry to highjack the post...
:yikes:  dude,  you better pull that 3rd member 

who  set your gears and locker up ??

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 07:43:58 PM »
now your scaring me! well its over at my buddies shop. he is doing a marlin cross over steering and rear springs, fror crossmember. i told him about the noise...ill direct him to the 3rd member-since he is the one that did it!! if i blew up my brand new precision gears ill be pissed especially since he f*cked it up!!! this whole time i thought it was my tranny starting to go....so where do i get this solid spacer. cause either way im buying it and having him throw it in regardless of what he thinks

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 07:46:25 PM »
so where do i get this solid spacer. cause either way im buying it and having him throw it in regardless of what he thinks

Solid Spacers
Solid pinion spacers replace the factory crush sleeve. These spacers reduce the need to retighten pinion nuts and reduce R&P failure due to excess backlash.

MC-14691, Solid Pinion Spacer, 4-Cyl, $29
    MC-14692, Solid Pinion Spacer, V6 & High Pinion, $29

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/pickup_diff.htm

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 07:47:50 PM »
now your scaring me! well its over at my buddies shop. he is doing a marlin cross over steering and rear springs, fror crossmember. i told him about the noise...ill direct him to the 3rd member-since he is the one that did it!! if i blew up my brand new precision gears ill be pissed especially since he f*cked it up!!! this whole time i thought it was my tranny starting to go....so where do i get this solid spacer. cause either way im buying it and having him throw it in regardless of what he thinks
precision gear ??  :shake:  drain your diff oil  and see what you get out of it,   

3rd  from the bottom of the page
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/pickup_diff.htm#parts

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 08:07:50 PM »
sweet!!!! just bought them!! along with some rocksliders! got a little crazy i guess. so whats wrong with precision?!? man i wish i had found marlin and this awesome forum a long time ago! thanks everybody for all your knowledge and support!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 08:19:20 PM »
PG  is  kinda  a cheap gear,  Yukon is best  but  you already have it,   

if the driveshaft is out slide under  and  see if the pinion flange feels loose  and  holler back at me

i sent you a email