Author Topic: Clutch replacement additional things I should also replacement  (Read 2251 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
On a rebuild or restore you can get crazy with replacing parts.

If you have a fat budget or you want to melt a credit card, that's fine.

Looking at it from my more conservative perspective...

I tend to be on the frugal side, so I look at need vs cost - I have skinny budget.

With that said, compromising a critical part on quality (some quality parts can be had without overpaying) will usually come back to bite you.

I agree that replacing the clutch slave cylinder is a good idea any time you replace a clutch and pressure plate that has high mileage.

Unless the clutch master cylinder is leaking, I'd probably wait on that.

Unless the rubber brake lines are showing age cracks or leaking, replacing rubber brake lines with stainless steel or braided lines in the front end is not a bad idea if you are wheeling a lot, otherwise I'd wait and keep my eye on them.

For sure... replace the rear crank seal, input shaft housing seal and gasket, and clutch slave cylinder - along with your clutch kit.  On the flywheel, if it is not showing surface wear or heat stress, simply sanding it with emery cloth on flat block has worked for me.  If in doubt, it is worth buying a new one.

Regarding that pilot bearing!!  The little bugger does not want to be replaced.  I have tried every well-known trick and tool to get it out of end of the crankshaft and none of them have worked for me!  So.. I made my own tool in about 5 minutes and it pulled the bearing out in less that 10 seconds.

On the front end and steering, I'd put the front end on jack stands and actuate the front steering and get a good look at just what parts are needing replaced.

I've attached a photo.

Of course replacing ALL the parts is always a better way to go! :thumbs:

That's just my pomp 'n stink as H8TPVMT would say.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2020, 04:32:53 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein