Author Topic: Won't Turn Left in 4wd  (Read 3570 times)

79HiluxHillbilly

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Jun '20
  • Let her EAT
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Turn Left in 4wd
« on: Jun 11, 2020, 09:06:01 AM »
Okay so had some time to tinker with it last night and put it on jack stands.  And it looks like its a birf problem...

Procedure:
0)Pulled it in the shop in 2wd (unlocked hubs) --- NO ISSUES
1)Put front end on stands, Transfer case in 2wd, Hubs Unlocked, Rotate tires and turn full L-R-L --- NO ISSUES
2)Lock in DS Hub, Rotate tires and turn full L-R-L --- NO ISSUES
3)Lock in PS Hub, Rotate tires and turn full L-R-L  --- NO ISSUES
4)UNLock DS Hub, Rotate tires and turn full L-R-L --- NO ISSUES
  **At this point I'm really irritated because I cannot get the problem to repeat on stands. So I decide to see if I can get it repeat on the ground again. 
5)Lock in DS Hub (Both hubs locked), Put in 4wd, backed up out of the shop to the left. ---ISSUE: Could not turn left past straight w/ slight trouble turning right past straight.
6)Pull back in shop
7)UNLock DS Hub, back out and to the left --- NO ISSUES
8)Pull back in shop
9)Lock DS Hub & UNLock PS Hub, back out and to the left --- ISSUES: Turned slightly more than past straight but did not like it.
10)Pulled back in shop.

-Brother shows up to work on his rig, so I show him what's happening. We repeat 1-4 again but NOT on stands. ---ISSUE: Truck won't turn left when both hubs are locked, but seems to turn slightly more left if the DS Hub is UNLocked.

-He noticed some binding noises while I was turning the wheel so I had him turn it while I listened and there is definitely something not right happening in the DS birf. I put my hand on it while he turned the wheel and was able to feel periodic vibrations/grinding while he turned L-R-L-, that was not noticed in the PS birf. 

Teardown next. Will keep updating