Author Topic: Does revving your 22R high shorten its life? Let's find out!  (Read 4101 times)

Lewis Hein

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 273
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Trying to equal the wonderful one-hoss shay
    • View Profile
"Does revving your 22R high shorten its life? Let's find out!"....  :willynilly:

Hey Lewis..

For someone who regularly touts your “physics police” checks, I am looking forward to your physics here.  :thumbs:

“does revving my 22R engine higher shorten it's life?” 

Perhaps some definitions are needed here: 

What is “revving my 22R engine higher” mean?

What is the definition of “it’s life”?

Before we get too far into a thread with anecdotal opinions that will most likely prove virtually nothing regarding engine RPMs and engine life, there are many studies and published reports done on engine life over many decades by all kinds of “experts”.  The studies range from just about all internal combustion engines, including automotive, gas, diesel, airplane, boats, motorcycles, etc. The essence of any conclusions to the question is almost universal and boils down one common factor  – neglect and maintenance.

So a more realistic measure of engine life would be to gather “data” on periodic maintenance, mileage between maintenance.

Since it’s a well-known fact that oil lubricated engine component wear occurs most at a cold start….. 

Do engines driven in extreme cold weather climates reduce engine life?

Does the type or brand of motor oil and filter affect engine life?

Does the air and air filter affect engine life?

In my opinion, there are way too many variables to the question to “do a fancy statistical test to give us a nice informative answer”…However it will be fun to read about how people drive and maintain their vehicle.

Gnarls.  :gap:

These questions either have obvious answers or are not relevant to the thread. Also the thread is to collect data, not anecdotal opinions. Also note that I said it would be an informative answer, not a definitive one.

One more off-topic post, from anyone, and this thread will be deleted. I don't have time for endless arguments  :)