Author Topic: Catastophic Failure  (Read 4143 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,245
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Catastophic Failure
« on: Jul 26, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
Darn .. because they’re too full of themselves.

I’m sure we would not find any of your comments in your 9,683 posts that are “your typical antagonistic games"?... like this one.

In the study of human psychology, a person who overtly criticizes another person most often suffers from a personality disorder, has low self esteem, and if a male, often has a very small male organ.  Of course that may not be the personality disorder you suffer from.

Regarding my “…reading comprehension” …”assume people are talking trash”….jumping “to conclusions” and “forget to read or fail to understand” what I read…. just for the record: 

I work for an international multi-billion dollar corporation that pays me a substantial salary as a communications analyst. Since I am one of a very small number of individuals (less than 12) selected to perform my role, I assume I must have reasonably qualified skills in reading comprehension, verbal, and textual communications.  I teach associates the science and art of textual and verbal communications in a high profile, very fast-paced negative service business/consumer/client industry. 

I doubt you will find in any of my 2,442 posts where I obviously and intentionally “look down my nose” at anyone.  As far as the wealth of knowledge here, there is also a wealth of male bovine feces!!

Humble and Kind….   I subscribed to Tim’s version….

You know there's a lot that goes by the front door
Don't forget the keys under the mat
Childhood stars shine, always stay humble and kind
Go to church 'cause your momma says to
Visit grandpa every chance that you can
It won't be a waste of time
Always stay humble and kind
Hold the door say please say thank you
Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie
I know you got mountains to climb but
When the dreams you're dreamin' come to you
When the work you put in is realized
Let yourself feel the pride but
Don't expect a free ride from no one
Don't hold a grudge or a chip and here's why
Bitterness keeps you from flying
Know the difference between sleeping with someone
And sleeping…

~ Tim McGraw

Now… regarding the topic…

I enjoy getting into the weeds at times, especially when the tech stuff is slow and the sandbox is full of fresh poop.  It should be obvious my comments are just my personal observations of decades of wheeling.

Here’s what I believe… the number of expert differential suppliers and rebuilders differ on the use of a crush sleeve or a collar/shim design-install.  One might recommend a solid spacer, some will use a crush sleeve unless the customer specifies a solid spacer.  I have spoken to a number of experts and, not surprising to me, they have different opinions.  Not to get into the mechanical dynamics of what goes on inside a differential under load, here’s my take on their comments….

Most of them state that for a differential that will be used for a race application, in tow vehicles, large trucks that use engine braking, and in extreme off-roading or 4-wheeling  use, the collar and shims will reduce the possibility of gear and bearing wear, and *potential* failure.  As far the set up time for either one is not a factor for the experts who rebuild hundreds of these per year.  The solid spacer does have an advantage because if the pinion should be removed for any reason, you can recalibrate the preload fairly easily.  With a crush sleeve, you would need to replace it.

Most catastrophic differential failure is catastrophic stupidity, improper use of the diff, improper set up and installation, or in some cases, the auto manufacturer has a poor differential design and premature failures are common.

Most reputable players in aftermarket differential service use high quality crush sleeves and solid spacer and shims, typically from OEM, Ratech or American Axle.

One big player I spoke to said strangely “Toyota guys prefer the solid spacer and shims”.

That’s my pomp ‘n stink.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018, 04:18:15 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein