Author Topic: 87 22R stumbling  (Read 9239 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,274
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: 87 22R stumbling
« on: Oct 05, 2016, 04:05:39 AM »
Filter has not been replaced, pump is working fine, carb was adjusted, has great spark, solenoid seems to be working fine, will be checking the dist. gear soon, I havent found a webber that is street legal yet, but thats what i would like to do. Im in calif. and i drive it a lot.

OK, help me understand what a "stumble" is. 

Does it feel like it's running out of fuel, or does it feel like it's mis-firing - no spark?

A plugged fuel filter will usually cause an engine miss during higher RPMs - lack of fuel.

A spark miss can happen at idle, during acceleration, or at cruise RPMs.

A stumble from off-idle can be caused by the accelerator pump not pumping a full stream of gas into the venturi.  Usually the rubber diaphram gets a hole in it. Since the carb has been rebuilt, it should have a new accelerator pump.  With the engine off, you can check that by simply looking down at the venturi while slowly turning the throttle through full rotation to see if a full and unbroken stream of fuel is being pumped into the venturi immediately as you start to rotate the throttle linkage.

How confident are you that the carb was rebuild properly and very cleanly?  Is the float level correct? Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?  How are the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor? Have you re-checked to make sure the plug wires are seated firmly in the disty cap and on the spark plugs?

The mechanical stock fuel pump can *partially* fail to pump sufficient fuel, but usually will cause a stumble at higher RPM. When they completely fail, you will see fuel being pumped out the vent hole on the fuel pump. It will typically make a very noticeable clatter sound similar to loose rocker adjustment.

Since H8PVMNT is doing a "study" on the 22R carb, he might want to jump back in here.

Gnarls. :inthedark:

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2016, 05:21:39 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein