Author Topic: Rebuilt 22RE  (Read 9374 times)

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,257
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Rebuilt 22RE
« on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:59:26 AM »
Hi Chucks79,

What are the camshaft specs?  What is the compression ratio? Did you buy the Stage 1 Long Block from 22RE Performance?

Any good quality break-in oil should work fine, and JG oil was one of the top 3 that was recommended to me.

“Don't baby the engine but don't go to hard on it.”  … that is not a break-in procedure, it’s way to subjective.

The best and most accurate description of an “engine break-in procedure” for my 22RE rebuild is what Tod at engbldr described to me.

Recommending the use of conventional dino oil over synthetic oil after the first 1,000 or 2,000 miles seems to be based on the theory that synthetic oil is too slick and will delay the wear-in factor.  Personally, I’d love to see any reliable test data to back up the theory.

The guys at 22RE Performance seem to know their poop, but recommending emissions testing right away and during initial break-in doesn’t make sense to me at all! The chances of a freshly rebuilt engine passing CA EPA emissions testing is practically zero!  Using an emissions test to determine if a sensor is bad on a freshly rebuilt engine is like sniffing a rose through your butt.

When (mileage or run time) the engine is fully broken in is affected by several factors like:  engine machining – accuracy of tolerances, RA surface in cylinder walls, crosshatching, type of piston rings, degree of clean assembly, and proper prep-lubrication during assembly.

After initial firing, immediately re-checking and fine tune ignition timing is critical.

“having my shop take a look at the numbers” will not change the out of compliance numbers. Even if the engine tune was within specs, correct valve lash, and all sensors were working properly, the engine will most likely NOT pass emissions testing with 89 miles on it.  Doing a compression check could reveal any issues with valves or rings.  Testing the O2 sensor may be a good idea.

If possible, I would not have the engine emissions tested until at least 2,000 miles on the engine.  I would not install a new CAT until the engine is completely broken in.

DISCLAIMER:  I am NOT an engine builder and my current rebuild is the first time I have rebuilt a 22RE, so my comments are just my worthless opinion.

Please keep us up-to-date on how your new engine is working for you.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2016, 05:13:34 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein