Author Topic: 86 Runner Build - Down to Rails  (Read 13100 times)

Miller

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since May '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: 86 Runner Build - Down to Rails
« Reply #30 on: Jun 14, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »
Started playing with the travel and plotting shock mounts.  Also started fitment for the steering box.  Been trimming little by little on the inner core support, finding it is double wall in most of teh areas needing trimming.  I'll post up pics once I finish up, but it appears I'll be able to cram it in there with no visible evidence from the front exterior.  I still have a little more trimming to do to in board side of the body mount to make final fitment.  It appears I will be getting the best overall fitment by flattening out the box to an almost level pitman arm swing.  Which means getting my hands on a flat arm.  Hoping I won't be channeling the frame to clear the crown nut.  There really isn't a whole lot of room for error in this space between leaf compression, spring keepers, frame and tie rod.  When I add another leaf or two I'll move the keeper down the pack some to avoid conflict with box. 

I was really surprised to see how far forward we got the axle with the RUF and spring hanger.  In attempting to twist it up in the shop the front right springs started going negative at 5" from spring plate so I now have an idea for bump stops.  I blocked it at flat and tried again.  Was nowhere near maxing out when I realized I had it high enough and twisted over to where the mocked up rear bumper was sitting on the work bench and had to stop.  Outstanding droop and limited compression, but absolutely centered in the wheel well at bump stop location.  Pleased with spring hanger locations all the way around. 

Rear 63" front mounts were place at 10.5" forward, opening up the wheelbase by at least another inch.  Rear shackle angle is right where I wanted it and looks like I may get lucky with clearing the rear bumper mounts but yet to test rear at full compression.  Does look like I'll have to trim the rear wheel well just a bit since I moved the axle back.
93 Runner, 86 Runner build, 85 Bobbed, 85 Xcab for parts