Author Topic: Tall, narrow tires  (Read 15209 times)

zombie_stomp

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Tall, narrow tires
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
What's your current size tire and wheel (+ width) ?

BFG has 33 x 9.50s and 33 x 10.50s which will fit on a 15x7 rim.
They are stock rims for this '82 now, so (from the VIN plate inside the driver's side door,) 15x5 1/2"

Narrow and tall on 4x4 isn't really a good idea handling wise.  Since you aren't sure what your future plans are, I would go with the BFG AT's in the current size you have now, if still on stock tire size, I would go with 31x10.50's.
All the original military jeeps had relatively narrow tires as far as I know. I think the idea was that they would cut down into the mud until they reached solid earth that they could gain traction on. I'm not sure. The truck I own now came with really wide super swampers, which I've never been into and don't understand. I think that if one is rock crawling, or wheeling on extremely uneven surfaces (which I don't plan to do in the near future), width is good for balance and wide range of traction. I've seen some photos of these kinds of trails and trucks on them, and understand the benefit of wide tires in certain situations. But if I were to take a photo of myself every day for the next 3-6 months with my truck and what I'll be traveling on, most of them would probably have a paved road in view. I may venture outside of that soon after, but Toyota 4WD was my next goal after owning the 2wd Toyota truck because of getting stuck in a ditch, and the potential for snow, ice, and having more fun doing donuts. By the way, the truck is not currently equipped with power steering. I hope to soon convert it to power steering, and know how to do it from a few conversion posts I've read. I laso know where to get the components locally. Money, time, and getting my birfield joints rebuilt first are the only things holding me back from that project right now. Once power steering is installed, I may be more pliable in accepting a new set of tires just like the ones I have on the truck now. But when handling conditions are questioned just because my truck is 4WD, I have to ask, "handling in  what conditions, on what kind surface"?
Just a pragmatic type of question, nothing personal. This is just an internet forum. But internet forums are a powerful tool in gaining valuable information! I really appreciate everyone's input so far and what else there may be to come!
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2015, 06:31:49 PM by zombie_stomp »