Author Topic: Tall, narrow tires  (Read 15211 times)

zombie_stomp

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Tall, narrow tires
« on: Jan 26, 2015, 05:41:31 PM »
I appreciate the replies and suggestions so far. I have photos, which is at least for me as a forum browser, sometimes the best part of the post.

I may not have mentioned size in the original post. These 31"x10.50x15 BFG ATs are mounted on are 15" stock chrome "5-spoke" style Toyota rims. I think those are 8.5" wide. So I'm looking for something a little more stock-ish, a little more on-road with perhaps a little bit of an off-road "edge" to them. Maybe a degree or two towards on-road than the BFG ATs.

Well, I am sure that my future plans involve traveling across the country in my truck, with all my tools and possessions in the back.

I'm looking for something narrower than what I have now, by how much, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure the tires that would have been on this truck when it was rolling off the dealer's lot would have been narrower than what I have now. The reason I may seem obsessed with the width is that I want to boost fuel economy for the big moving adventure, and will realistically be doing 90% city driving when I move, well, to the city. After a few months and I get settled in, I will have more money to spend on weekend trips to the coast, mountains, and places like Tillamook where I have a chance to go up logging trails and maybe even bust out the dirtbike.

So it's mostly on-road for the forseeable next 3-6 months or so, and "off-road" will most likely be logging roads to unload a dirtbike or just camp out. I might unload a dirtbike in some places just to scout an unknown trail before me and my friends try to wheel it. The logging trail in Tillamook I went to was pretty civilized as far as dirt roads go. That's the kind of terrain I see myself starting out on.

PHOTOS!
A night time view of the width. I imagine an inch or two narrower is what I'm looking to achieve in a new set. Not much, but makes a difference.

Side views. So you know what kind of rims I'm talking about.

Since this is a 4-speed, I definietly didn't have the SR5. I don't know what kind of rims came stock on this particular package, but I imagine it was the painted white ones that are the same as the spare full size rim on most yotas. I picked these and a spare rim as previously described for ~$200 at a salvage yard. The truck came with some super swampers on Eagle alloy rims, which were way too much for what I wanted and needed. 
I thought you might be able to read the sidewall in this one, but I think not!

How about now?

It says: "31x10.50R15LT   109S"