Author Topic: Where to start?!?!?  (Read 1382 times)

Jr0mer0

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 39
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Where to start?!?!?
« on: Feb 28, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
First off  :welcome:  to Marlin.

I'd just rock the IFS for now.  Get to know your rig first of all.  These trucks are very capable rigs in stock form.  And once you get to the point, that your wanting a little more, then start looking around and see what you want.  I've seen some guys do some incredible stuff with IFS.  Just get used to tripoding out on the trail.  Cause, your always gonna lift a tire, when a SAS'd rig would go farther before lifting a tire off the ground.

And on a budget?  So, am I!!  I've been scouring the ads, and local forums for years, and when something comes along, and you got the cash.  Jump on it!!
I've gotten some pretty sweet deals from many members on this forum right here.  And it doesn't hurt that most of them likes cheese too!!  :thumbs:  Get your parts when you have money.  Say buy some crossmembers this spring, late summer get some spring hangars, around XMas put new springs on the wanted list, and birthday season, put in for a dual case adapter.  This is what I have been doing for the last 5 to 6 years.  I've gotten axles, hubs, headers, axle rebuild kits, twin sticks, clutch, and so on, when I had the money, and the ability to get the parts.  Try finding stuff local, when getting used.  Because alot of parts are heavy and bulky, and shipping will cost as much as the part your buying.  I go to Fresno maybe once a year, and I'll make arrangements with members who are selling stuff in the area, and meet them there.  That way I'm saving a ton in shipping, since I'm down visiting family anyway.

thanks. i plan on doin exactly that, i actually read an article in 4wd toyota owner about ifs rigs. they seem pretty impressive im thinking about keeping the factory hight and just beefing things up maybe after market springs and torsion bars and some 31x10.5's and bumpers and sliders and calling it good that way i can keep it fuel efficient and not break parts all the time