Author Topic: Thanksgivings around the corner, whatcha' making?  (Read 1343 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgivings around the corner, whatcha' making?
« on: Nov 23, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Since I had to work yesterday.  I did the turkey today, after a early morning trip to Fred Meyer with the wife for Black Friday, I got the fire going.  The bird was only 14 pounds.  So, I knew it wasn't gonna take long.  So, I gave it a bacon wrapped bikini, which seemed to help alot in keeping moisture in the breasts.  And after that was done it was onto potatoes, and sweet taters.  I just use the "heavy foil" and diced the potatoes with olive oil, and whatever seasoning I have.  This year it was Costco's no-salt seasoning.  Which is nice on alot of stuff.  Then cook the taters till they are soft, and set them aside.  I just used Tillamook butter and a plash of milk to whip them up. 

On to the sweet taters.  I peeled and diced, coated with Tillamook butter, and brown sugar.  Cooked them till they softened up. 

A little trick, is to use your cooler after the bird is done.  Wrap in foil, and place towels under and around it, to keep it warm.  While doing other things on the grill. 

Another thing I love to do after the bird goes in the smoker, is I use my gas grill/burner and do some breakfast wraps.  I used some mild sausage, diced taters, onion, and green bell pepper.  Fried them up, while the camp coffee maker was percolating with some fresh ground coffee.  I wrapped up the goodies with some diced tomato, hot sauce, mexican blend shredded Tillamook cheese and shared them with my daughter who came out to see what Daddy was doing out in the rain at 8 am.  And yes, my makeshift shack was all tarped off for the weather.  At one point the garbage guys backed into my step moms driveway and started shouting about the shop is on fire.  Till I peeked my head out and said its all fine, just smoking the bird.  They almost called 911, one guy had his cell out ready to dial. 

It had to be the best bird I done on the grill.  Pulled it when the breast hit a little over 165*.  The little popups go at 180*, because the dark meat takes longer to get up to temp.  Which we aren't big on dark meat, until tomorrow, when we use all the leftovers in enchilada's.  That way your not eating turkey for a week.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen