Author Topic: OM602 swap  (Read 35053 times)

EJMFS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Re: OM602 swap
« on: Nov 11, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
So if you are still considering doing this swap I can say that I am very pleased with the truck now that it is done.  Drives great, gets great fuel economy and so far is very reliable.  It was a lot of work and took a lot of research but now it is done.  So if anyone wants to do this swap I would be happy to give my input.  This engine is much lighter than the om617 and is more efficient.  I am actually getting ready to build an om602 turbo that will have quite a bit more power.  The non turbo gets around just fine and seems to be a bit more powerful than the stock 20r.  However, I use this mainly as a work truck and the turbo would be nice when hauling and driving through the mountains.

So for your questions MikeGee.  I just removed the sway bar and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in driving.  I also have 3" lift springs with rancho 9000 shocks with the shocks adjusted for more stiffness.  I would not advise notching the pan.  I had to do a lift after the swap because the sump was only about 1.25" from the trailing arm allowing the arm to hit the oil pan.  Before the lift I just added blocks over the bump stops to only allow about .5" suspension travel.  So needless to say this was not a comfortable ride nor a permanent solution.  For the adapter plate I used 3/4" aluminum plate.  The backspacing needed to be reduced on the bellhousing so I cut the bellhousing back to the appropriate spacing minus the 3/4" and welded the new flange to the bellhousing.  I recommend using a TIG welder for this unless you are some kind of rockstar with aluminum MIG.  I think if you have access to a mill you should be able to do it fairly easily.  You may need a rotary table to trim the perimeter in order to fit the benz ring gear.  The bolt holes only needed about 1mm of slotting.  And also, I had to remove the bolt holes for the slave cylinder so I used a pull style slave cylinder.  I did read about someone else using a concentric slave cylinder from a chevy colorado which has a slightly different version of the aisin r150f.  That guy used the whole front bearing retainer assembly from the colorado.