Author Topic: What Aisin Clutch? '89 4wd 22r Pickup  (Read 5035 times)

2themax

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What Aisin Clutch? '89 4wd 22r Pickup
« on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:07:52 AM »
Hey Folks, I'm a newbie so I'll buy the first round  :beer:. I was told to check here on the Aisin Clutch kit I need for my pickup. I haven't had much luck finding anything so maybe you guys could help me out.

I have a '89 4wd 22r pickup. I have had various sites giving me different Aisin part numbers. CKT-022, CKT-019, CKT-016.

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/what-aisin-clutch-89-4wd-22r-pickup-286749/

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: What Aisin Clutch? '89 4wd 22r Pickup
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »
https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty

Any of the heavy duty clutch setups Marlin sells are supposed to be the cat's meow...  I'm going to run the 1600 lb set for my 4Runner. I tow and tend to run lowsey gear ratios lately.  Most guys are running the 1200 lb. I'm sure someone else will chime in here with actual experience.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

84_yota_4wd

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 219
  • Male Posts: 831
  • Member since Feb '06
  • mountain goat
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2015, 07:50:43 AM »
Our oversized clutch upgrade is awsome it replaces your stock 8 7/8 clutch and flywheel with the 9 5/16 22ret clutch. Comes with the flywheel and clutch and heavy duty pressure plate bolts. P/N  Mccl-111tc

Or we have a 1,200lb heavy duty clutch that will fit on your 8 7/8 flywheel. P/N mccl-126.

Both great choices. All our clutchs use oem components and were developed by marlin himself. Hope this helps :thumbs:
Marlin Crawler
Developers of the longest lasting and most successful
Toyota Transfer case, Transmission, and Differential products on the planet
(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Hey Folks, I'm a newbie so I'll buy the first round  :beer:.
:welcome: to :turtle: land :wave:

I have had various sites giving me different Aisin part numbers. CKT-022, CKT-019, CKT-016.
I think the first question that should be asked is what do you use your rig for and what is your tire size and axle gearing? If you've got some 31" tires with stock R&P gearing and don't have plans to deviate from that, then pretty much any ol' clutch kit would work well for you.

Despite being made in Japan, we do not like Aisin kits because their standard discs use urethane plucks (degrade and crack overtime) and single springs instead of Heavy Duty dual springs all around, and their supposedly "heavy duty" discs use plastic spring keepers that reduce their durability, precisely what you wouldn't want to see in a heavy duty application.

Instead, Marlin, in the late 1980s, based on a decade of off-road clutch experience, put together a hybrid kit - combining parts from different manufactures - and this is what put his setup above the rest. It's difficult for the younger generation like myself to fully understand this, but Marlin says back then he would carry 2 clutch discs with all his spare parts on every trail run he did and in his own words he would "replace blown clutch discs all the time". They would literally drop the transmission and swap out cooked discs right in the middle of the trail. :ack:

Fast forward to the mid 1990s and his clutches were so good that he contacted manufactures to build parts specific to this new sport he called Rock Crawling, and the rest is history! Our kits are not just some over-the-shelf pre-boxed kit that you see other places selling. Investigate for yourself 1) how long they have been selling and off-roading those kits, and 2) are those kits custom designed for them based on testing and replacing clutch components out on the trail?

Our kits are truly designed to cope with the harshness and abuse of off-roading without killing your leg during those long days on the trail. Each kit we have uses Marlin-specific heavy duty Aisin pressure plates with Marlin-specific heavy duty Seco discs.

As 84_yota_4wd points out, we offer an Oversized Upgrade Kit for pre-1992 trucks that features a 47% higher torque load rating and more importantly a 10% larger surface area providing more material that will last longer and have a higher tolerance to clutch fading / harder to "smoke" it. The 10% larger components is really important and no other kit can touch this. It's a huge upgrade over whatever you've ran in your '89 before.

Click here for the details on this kit: https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/oversized-clutch-upgrade-package We also offer a normal-sized HD kit for your truck which is a cheaper alternative as you can resurface and reuse your own stock-sized flywheel. This kit is found here https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/heavy-duty-clutch-kit-1200-lb

We'd love for you to give our kits a try. We are certain that you will not be disappointed!

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

2themax [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
Much thanks for the replies! Very helpful  :clap2:

My rig is a DD so a light duty or OEM clutch would suit me just fine but, I'm all about getting the best bang for the buck and obviously having a clutch that can handle the load is better than not having one when you need it.

Again, thanks a bunch for the help. I'll be getting one of your clutches!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:15:20 PM »
I have the 22RTE flywheel and matching 1200# clutch behind my 22RE, and it feels like butter on the leg.  I wanted the 1600# clutch, but thought that it would be too stiff on the leg.  So, I got the 1200#.  The thing HOOKS UP!!  I can launch it hard off the line, and I can tell the the rear axle is axle wrapping hard when I do.  I've also hauled some pretty heavy loads, and the only thing that I've had slip, is the tires, and had the motor stall out a couple times when traction was too much.  It's worth every penny.   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »
Get the 1200 lb,also get the flywheel, its almost as cheap as going to the machine shop and getting yours resurfaced,and up grade the bolts ,they have those also.not a lot of money for what you get.and the clutch kit is a complete kit ,so comes with T/O,pilot,and a pilot tool
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 10:15:39 PM by dt »

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
For all those wondering if the 1600# clutch is hard on the left leg.............it is NOT.    I ran the 1600 and it didn't feel much stiffer than the stocker.

I did have the flywheel step machined as per Marlin. Not sure how much this affects feel.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
I did have the flywheel step machined as per Marlin.

If anyone is wondering what 2manytoys is referring to, then see the "ALWAYS resurface or replace your flywheel" section towards the bottom of https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/guide/clutch-kit-install-instructions

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »
I installed a Marlin 1600 lb clutch kit and flywheel. Smooth, no harder to push than stock but works so much better.