Author Topic: L52 Counter shaft  (Read 6971 times)

AndreKing

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
L52 Counter shaft
« on: Feb 13, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Hey everyone!  :wave:

I've searched high and low, can't find an answer... 

My L52 transmission started making a clunk in everything but 4th gear.  It made it home, pulled it out, cleaned it up a bit then pulled the shifter cover before I brought it in, about 4 teeth gone from the input shaft. 

Needed a new input shaft of course, and what the owner of a local transmission shop called cluster gear set or the counter shaft I see everywhere else...

I ordered a hd bearing cover plate from Marlin, planned on dropping that off for him to use on the rebuild.  He called that it was ready to pick up before the part arrived.  I picked it up on the 8th and the part showed up on the 9th, grrr...  no problem

Pulled the tail housing off to see what was involved in swapping out the bearing cover plate and noticed the counter shaft they installed is shorter than the old one??  There's a pocket bearing in the housing that the end of the old shaft rode in, this one doesn't??  They replaced the bearing there, but since the shaft is shorter, it serves no purpose.

I'm hoping this is a design change maybe?  Less stress on the input bearing somehow?  I don't know, it seems like it would be stronger the other way, with the tail of the counter shaft supported by the bearing.  I definitely want to get the stronger bearing plate installed but think this shaft could be the wrong part, from an L50 or other?  The only thing I've found online was from the fine forum here (Thanks!)  back to 2004, nothing concrete just a similar question http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=5740.0

Itching to get it back on the road, but would rather have this ironed out before I put everything back together.  He gave me a 6 month warranty, been in business 12 years seems legit I just think they didn't know, notice, put in what the supply house sent maybe.  I wanted to take it back and have him put the plate on, now not sure what to do! 

Here's the new shaft installed

Old counter shaft

Extension housing

I should have just ordered an L52HD
Thanks for any help or input
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2011, 05:21:25 PM by AndreKing »

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Re: L52 Counter shaft
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
I just put a new 5th gear in my L52 and that looks identical to mine. 
To put the bearing support plate in isnt hard but your gonna need a puller and a safe way to hold gears while you torque that main nut. 
Should take you about an hr. 

AndreKing [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
Okay, good to hear...   both the manuals I have show the shaft with that extension into the housing.   Hoped this was a change for the better?
Thanks

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »
Ya know I looked at another trans I have here which is a L52 as well and hate to say it but that counter shaft is a 4 speed shaft by my best guess.  It should be longer and have two c clips.  One that holds the 5th gear into place and then another which is there to stop the coupler from sliding on too far. 
So your definitely gonna have to take it back to trans guy and get the correct shaft installed.   Kinda sucks since these transmission arent the easiest to tear down.  Call up Marlin and I am sure he can send you a good L5 series shaft. Doesnt have to be new.

AndreKing [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
Thanks for checking.  The 5th gear is there, this new counter shaft just stops after the threads, about an inch shorter.  I thought that might be a difference between the L50 and L52?  I think I read the only external difference was the weep hole on the input bearing retainer on the L50, not sure about the internal changes other than the input bearing itself.

I found some parts supply places online, a couple list parts for L45/L52.  Not sure what all interchanges?  Or if that bearing pocket was cast into the tail housing on an L50 or they did that for the L52.  I'll have to check on getting a good used one from Marlin.

Thanks again

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
Here is my L52. You can see the main shaft with the sleeve on it.

Looks like yours does. 

AndreKing [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Yeah, that looks identical.  Have you rebuilt this one or replaced that counter shaft?   Is there a bearing in the bottom of the tail housing on yours?  I want to think this is a design change, somehow less stress on the input bearing.  Appreciate the help!

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »
The bearing retainer does help take some of the load off the output bearing. 
The bearing on the rear of output shaft.  Its known to be an issue.  The main issues with the L series transmissions is the input bearing failure.
Its why marlin puts G54 bearing into the L52HD. 

AndreKing [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
Update:  Design Change

Got a call back from the shop that did the work.  He called his supply house and the manufacturer of the counter shaft, they both told him it was a design change.  He said something about the rear bearing supporting the load and the bearing on the end of the counter shaft wasn't needed.  Offered to put my old shaft back in if I wanted.

I'm hoping to get it in tomorrow or Friday for him to put that Marlin retainer on, a moving truck by Monday?  Fingers crossed... 

crazykooter is the man, your pics confirmed it!  If I'd could give you a turtle point, I'd pile them on.

Thanks!

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »
Glad I could help.  Post when you get it rolling.

AndreKing [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2011, 08:09:32 AM »
Got about 200 miles on it now, everything together last weekend.  Everything bolted back together, fill the fluids, turn the key....   and click, dead battery ha ha.

Seemed a little notchy going into 2nd and 4th but it's getting better, must be breaking in...  I will dump the fluid and put a synthetic in at 500 miles.  I thought I read somewhere about putting GL4 in, not quite as slippery as GL5 and helped the synchros grab better.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks again!

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »
Also make sure you bleed the clutch well.  It can cause that notchy feeling.
Glad u got ur rig back on the road.

AndreKing [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »
Update:  At almost exactly 500 miles, Bang... clunk clunk clunk.

Last Friday, 11th I headed out the gate about a mile down the road.  There was a loud bang, radio on so I missed the bulk of it.  I pulled over expecting something hanging down or a visual, nothing.  I took off again and didn't hear it until about 35mph or 3rd gear. 

Pulled the tranny back out and took it into the guy that rebuilt it.  A clip in the rear let loose or broke and 5th gear moved around and broke, had a tooth missing.  He had it ready to pick up yesterday , got it bolted in today.  (Getting a lot faster at it!)

Seems strange its in the rear housing after my shorter shaft initial question here?  I didn't even ask him about it, he wasn't really thrilled to have to throw time and money into again.  He covered it all under warranty and said things like that happen...

Only about 10 miles on it now...  but once again, all seems good.  Time to burn some gas and try to break it I reckon.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
I dont think it was a shaft issue.  It almost seems like he used the old c clip which holds the 5th gear in place.  They are really hard to get off without them stretching some. 
Hopefully its all good now. 

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2011, 11:15:33 PM »
did they overhaul your entire trans, or did they just repair any damage?