Standard 6' Typical Bobbed
2 (28.6%)
Cut it all off!
1 (14.3%)
Pointy ears.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Jun 02, 2016, 03:27:30 PM

Author Topic: What about Bobbed?  (Read 3208 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
What about Bobbed?
« on: May 19, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
My 1980 longbed is peeling like a banana from years of abuse.  I recently acquired this 2WD short bed parts truck.  It is of course a short bed but the tailgate and back end is very much intact.  My bed is totally shot except for the front few feet.   Doing anything with it is a severe tetanus hazard. You can actually get metal slivers trying to open or close the tail gate and pieces of it have been flying off going down the highway.

I can use this short bed to fix up my longbed if I kind of graft the two beds together.

The rear overhang of the long bed is about 30".  The overhang on the short bed is about 24"  I can do this and use the entire 24" overhang of the short bed and end up with about a 6'8" mid-bed, or I can fillet the beds and weld the short box rail on top and have a 6' bed with a tiny overhang like the typical bob.

I am leaning toward the longer version as I have really enjoyed the long bed for truck use.

The real short bed would have some cool factor too, as it looks hot, but everybody does that.

Whatever I do I plan to beef the heck out of the bed in the process and make an all-pro style rack for it.

I also acquired 4 of the plain jane stock 6" steel wheels in this deal.  I have always wanted to do a mil-spec looking build on this truck if I ever got a set of those wheels.  Keeping that in mind on the bed length for the mil-spec army truck look might be a factor.  I haven't decided if super short or mid length would be better for that look.

So vote and maybe I'll do what you guys say. :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:43:55 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: What about Bobbed?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Here is the truck in question to put it in context...

– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
In my opinion you should flatbed it. A well done flatbed just looks so cool!  :smokin:

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
Graft it. I think the 6" shorter bed would give a cool look and a nice head scratcher for passers-by, not to mention keeping the hauling ability.  :twocents:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 07:24:48 PM »
In my opinion you should flatbed it. A well done flatbed just looks so cool!  :smokin:

Ironically, I would do just about anything to avoid a flatbed.

If the goal is wheeling then chop it off short.  It is so great to never touch the rear bumper.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:11:22 PM »
Its a tough call.  But I have learned from my old 85 Nissan longbed, too much bed can cause issues.  My biggest was overloading the truck to the point that the frame was to the axle, and steering was sketchy!!  More like scary at times. 

If you think your bed is bad, mine still works, but I half expect it to fall off going down the road one day.  Between the cracks and rust, I think the paint is the only thing holding it together.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:26:52 AM »

I had intended to, I actually had it about half done, but I used my materials for a barn wood kitchen cabinet with a stainless range top last week.  The main reason for still wanting a bed is that we haul this water tank in it all the time that fits snug between the wheel wells.  While I do love the look of a flatbed Toyota, I also really dig the 1st gen bed.

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
So I have this problem that I can't ever keep a passenger side tail light.  Sold my extra set last year and then my wife destroyed mine with a dead cow.  I was all excited that the parts truck would have one and now I notice that it appears to have been melted in the fiery roll over.

Maybe I'll try to sink some LED tails in the holes and make some covers out of rod stock.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:10:39 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »
I put mine in the roll pan area of my 80. I've knocked them out a few times, just pop them back in.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck