Author Topic: Rust Prevention  (Read 2902 times)

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Rust Prevention
« on: Sep 18, 2015, 12:14:59 AM »
Hi. I am very surprised to see that this topic has not been covered yet since so many Toyota trucks, old and new alike, fall victim to the tin worm.
What measures are being taken by members of this forum to mitigate and prevent rust, especially those who not only daily drive their trucks, but also live on the coast or in areas where salt is used to melt snow and ice on road ways.
What have you done to prevent rust from forming?
Has it worked in the long term?
If not, what could have been done differently
What are your daily driving conditions relative to your measures (ie: Driven daily 4 miles on direct coastline, and stored inside for 3 years with no rust in treated areas, washed and waxed after wheeling etc....)
Hope to get some ideas.
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Rust Prevention
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2015, 12:03:24 PM »
I just pressure washed mine and degreased it ad best I could. Then sprayed it with undercoat.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
I just keep cutting it away  :yupyup:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Go to the airport and get tickets to AZ :gap:

also love the signature
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »
I just pressure washed mine and degreased it ad best I could.

Why on earth would you do that?  Grease is your natural rust preventetive  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
I just keep cutting it away  :yupyup:

AHHH NO!!!!!

Going to cavity wax the seams and inside the frame and anywhere else I can think of then Ospho (without becoming blind) then Rust Bullet. I've literally experienced nightmares where I would happily open the door to my truck, only to have it fall off and disintegrate :0 I swear someone with means should re pop stainless body panels for 1st and 2nd Gens. It would be cost effective in the long run. MARLIN: this is a suggestion........
I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »
Toyotafiberglass.com makes new panels out of seriously tough and rust impervious fiberglass. He's on this board. He has a recent build he is working on right now  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98048.0
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »
Toyotafiberglass.com makes new panels out of seriously tough and rust impervious fiberglass. He's on this board. He has a recent build he is working on right now  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98048.0

Now before I ask why he kept IFS, I'd like to say he did a fine job on the frame with proper prep and It would be very interesting to see that frame after 5 years of operation on a coastline or in the rust belt. Time tells all.
I read somewhere that Toyota implemented a device which used electricity to prevent corrosion in Canada similar to what is used on large ships. The consensus was that the device is worthless without a ground like a ship would have sitting in salt water. Best insurance is to store indoors and keep clean.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,730
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Your talking about zinc plates as sacrificial anodes? That is what is used to prevent electrolytic corrosion on boats. I would think that Toyota would be aware of the need for ground to make that work. Besides electrolytic corrosion isn't the problem we are battling, but instead normal weathering and corrosion from salt contamination.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »
Now before I ask why he kept IFS

If you read what he's doing, it is a restoration, not a crawler.  Not everybody has to sas everything to feel like a real truck owner.  He has an insanely clean first gen truck, too
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

herpestes

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
I wash down with Salt Away

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015, 09:54:43 AM by herpestes »

Jagdverband44 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
Your talking about zinc plates as sacrificial anodes? That is what is used to prevent electrolytic corrosion on boats. I would think that Toyota would be aware of the need for ground to make that work. Besides electrolytic corrosion isn't the problem we are battling, but instead normal weathering and corrosion from salt contamination.

So it actually looks like First and Second Gens were supplied with a DC power source to act as sacrificial anodes on the outside of ships that transported other Toyotas. It was a suicide mission like Kamikaze. Very honorable. The whole electronic rust protection system was a scam for automobiles and was likely a dealer ad on to make more $$$. Like selling sh*t on a shingle.
If you read what he's doing, it is a restoration, not a crawler.  Not everybody has to sas everything to feel like a real truck owner.  He has an insanely clean first gen truck, too

His resto is sick, I just need a solid axle in front to make me feel like a big boy. Plus, solid axles provide a good place to catch smaller road kill such as raccoons and possum. I hear solid axles also attract loose women due to their  :bling: factor

dt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
The more I drive my truck,the less rust I have,relativley