Author Topic: Any electricians here?  (Read 2172 times)

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Any electricians here?
« on: Mar 27, 2005, 01:03:55 PM »
On my moms house the electrical outlets in her garage and backyard aren't working. Also the bathroom and kitchen lights don't come on right away, (fluorescent) I kind of have to flick the switch a couple of times. When you first turn them on, no light. The second time the lights are real dim, the third time its full power. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure its the light switch and the outlet. The house is only ten years old :beer:
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
Re: Any electricians here?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2005, 01:35:25 PM »
for the fluoressent it's normal maybe the module(don't know how it's called in english) warming up the gaz is getting old you can buy that at any hardware store.
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

dirtbag

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 841
  • Male Posts: 1,303
  • Member since Jun '04
  • flexes like dried doo-doo
    • View Profile
    • I am hot, huh?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »
flourescent, as 88Runner said, is the module, or ignitor. It *SHOULD* be a round cylindrical-looking device about an 1" long, some have buttons on them. They're cheap to replace.

As for the garage & backyard plugs, have you checked the breakers? sometimes, the breaker itself goes out, so start cheap before tearing out the whole wiring system, only to find out you could've spent $20 for a breaker or something small, rather than at least $1,000 for new wiring that you didn't need. Just my :twocents:

oddball [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
Thanx guys. I did check the breakers,their fine, I was hoping maybe it was the outlets. Ill check the ignitor thing :beer:

AJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2005, 02:22:13 PM »
Hey im pretty good with wiring and it sounds to me like one of the jumper wires on an outlet came out. Are any of the outlets on that indivduale circuit workin? If so they run in a line. pull the last workin outlet from the wall and make sure all wires are conected. If so move to the next one and pretty sure youll find your problem.

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2005, 04:50:33 PM »
In a fluorescent fixture, where the lamps make contact can become dirty.  Try moving the lamp in its holders or replace lamps.  Replace the ballast.  Sounds like you may have a loose neutral in your panel.  Check all of your connections at the neutral bar and make sure they are tight.  We get lots of calls like this and it is usually just a loose wire in the panel.  Sometimes if a lot of stuff in the house stops working and the stove, dryer, and furnace doesn't work right, you have lost a whole leg of 120 coming into the house.  This happens in the panel or before.  Sometimes underground and you get to dig!  Good luck!!
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2005, 05:43:29 PM »
If you don't know much about electricity and what it can do to you then please find someone that does. I work with the stuff all the time and still get shocked evey now and then. come to think of it that may explain a lot.
If your bulbs are dark on the ends replace them first. As for the outlets some are on wall switches.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2005, 06:39:33 PM »
some times the outlets have reset buttons on them check the outlets in the garage you will probably find one. same thing hapened to my buddys house we tried to plug in the shop lights and nothig would work and that was the problem
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

oddball [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:05:55 PM »
Yeah this whole house was jinxed since new, the AC went out when the house was a year and a half old. I replaced that, now the furnace doesn't work turns on but no heat so I guess thats next. But thanx for all the suggestions I'm going to try them next weekend, and thanx Willy Mammoth I understand a little bit so I'm gonna be careful :shocking: :beer:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2005, 06:26:24 AM »
Flourescents: check the ballasts, they are cheap tlo replace. In the garage, depending on the year of your house, you might have a GFI protected garage. If you have less than 10 outlets, there would most likely be just 1 GFI outlet. The outlet should be in the garage but some electricians will tie the garage in with the bathroom GFI circuits or even the kitchen GFI circuit.

If you can't find a GFI outlet for the garage, grab a tester and start @ the panel. Check the breaker, check the first plug in line in the garage (usually the closest to the panel location) and then check the rest of the outlets. Should be able to narrow it down pretty quick.
"between projects"

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2005, 11:20:34 AM »
they also make GFCI breakers :gap:

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2005, 04:43:53 PM »
they also make GFCI breakers :gap:

Yeah but he already stated that he checked the breaker and it was fine and besides most residential electrical sub contractors won't use a GFCI breaker unless absolutely necessary as they are about 4-6xs the cost of an outlet that will do the same thing on the same circuit.
"between projects"

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2005, 07:11:26 PM »
I find wires falling out of wire nuts all the time. They just aren't lining up the wires rite and tightening them enough.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

oddball [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:00:06 PM »