Author Topic: My Headlights Suck.......looking for replacement ideas  (Read 4425 times)

BPINAZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
My Headlights Suck.......looking for replacement ideas
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »
I'm considering replacing my headlights on my 85 with some decent round off road lights. I've seen pics of rigs that have had this done, just looking for some ideas. Post up some pics for inspiration if you have any. Thanks. 
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough. I've got the scars to prove it

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I just went with the Vision X housings and super white bulbs that Marlin sells and I tell you what they are a hell of a light for what they cost. Not to mention they drop right in without any need to change out your harness or anything!

BPINAZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Thanks, I'll check into those. I'm looking at some other lights that Marlin sells too. Btw, nice rig.

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Years ago I purchased the Roundeyes replacement head lights, An amazing upgrade!

My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

BPINAZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Is there a kit for the round eyes that's available?  That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. Thanks.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I also bought the vision X set up. I am not impressed in any way. The low beams are too dim and the hi-beam isn't very Hi lol. I like the fact I can change out my bulbs now.... but over all I would go a different route if you're looking for performance. IMHOP
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I also bought the vision X set up. I am not impressed in any way. The low beams are too dim and the hi-beam isn't very Hi lol. I like the fact I can change out my bulbs now.... but over all I would go a different route if you're looking for performance. IMHOP

Interesting that we differ so much in our opinion of them. I guess I don't need low beams that are led light bar bright as my truck is my daily and I'm not trying to be that guy with the lifted truck and the blinding bright lights in everyone's rear mirror. They are a 100% improvement over my sylvanias that were in the truck before so maybe that it is that they were so bad that these are tainting me into thinking these are so good  :yupyup:

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
My trucks my daily driver and I wish I had something better. I have newer wiring and using the 3rz fuse box to operate the headlights.  I have adjusted them multiple times with alignment tools and visually to try and make the beam work better for me. No luck. In my situation,  compared to the lights in my truck right now, the prius behind me is the Dbag with the brights..
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
Well I just checked the RoundEyes site and it looks like they no longer sell there rectangular toyota replacement headlights. that sucks I really like mine. Just double checked  :turtle:'s lights and I am betting they are the same lights.

My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

BPINAZ [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Thanks guys for the advice.  I found a few builds where guys have mounted the "KC" style lights in place of their headlights.  If I can't find a roundeye solution,  I might go this route.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Thanks guys for the advice.  I found a few builds where guys have mounted the "KC" style lights in place of their headlights.  If I can't find a roundeye solution,  I might go this route.

Yeah pretty sure that would be illegal for use on the road. Don't know if your truck is a dedicated trail rig or not but something to consider.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I have some square Roundeyes that I no longer need. The 130/90 bulbs are installed in the Roundeye headlights already. I can't remember what the ones in the box are.
Time to go wheelin!

4.3 headache

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Aug '03
  • keep goin!!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
I'm considering replacing my headlights on my 85 with some decent round off road lights. I've seen pics of rigs that have had this done, just looking for some ideas. Post up some pics for inspiration if you have any. Thanks. 

Before scrapping your lights alltogether, take a look at 4crawler's website:
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Headlights.shtml#WiringHarness

There's some good info in there. The guy is an engineer,so it's pretty detailed. Keep in mind that any high wattage replacement bulb or off road light you tie into the factory harness is going to put quite the strain on the electrical system. The problem is voltage drop through the factory wiring, not so much the lack of bulb wattage.

You can upgrade your lights only, but it'd be like running a 350 chevy in front of a stock W56 tranny.....

all i want is a little more than i'll ever get!!

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
HELLA still makes a good H4 conversion kit. It also bolts right in and is only about $60. I think the difference between the two results that SqWADoosh and Nation are experiencing has to do with the actual H4 lamp being used. The reflector alone isn't going to improve the lights other than having a more precise beam and having the ability to use a brighter lamp.
I am using the Trucklite LED's. They are expensive though. The benefit is that they are super bright with a very high light temperature and a brightness right on the edge of the legal limit. they also require no wiring harness upgrades, draw very little amperage and will outlast the vehicle. Well maybe not, it is after all a TOYOTA. 
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Got LED replacements coming from China, 6600 lumens bright white, cheap, straight swap for h4. Bright as the sun when fitted into focused reflectors.......
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
You should post some before/after pics once you get them.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i