Author Topic: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread  (Read 322066 times)

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: SqWADoosh's 85 Runner Build Thread
« Reply #450 on: Jul 05, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »

Have a feeling this may be a familiar sight in the coming weeks
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: Jul 05, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
Have a feeling this may be a familiar sight in the coming weeks

You better bribe his wife with something. She wasn't too happy about my truck occupying her driveway for a few hours. Nevertheless the over a week you are planning  :nerv:

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #452 on: Jul 05, 2015, 10:02:40 PM »
You better bribe his wife with something. She wasn't too happy about my truck occupying her driveway for a few hours. Nevertheless the over a week you are planning  :nerv:

She was upset that I was neglecting my dog. She was okay with your truck being in the driveway though.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »
I think you should put a grommet on the aluminum so that bundle doesn't get eaten through
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: Jul 06, 2015, 09:22:16 AM »
I think you should put a grommet on the aluminum so that bundle doesn't get eaten through

Yeah I thought about that as well. Didn't have one handy and had to put it all back together.

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 229
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #455 on: Jul 08, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »
Nice stuff!  I did not know about the axle shafts.  Interesting. 

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »

Did you have to work the gap between the tailgate and body at all?  My bracket just showed up and a quick check showed that there isn't enough gap on the passenger side and just barely enough gap (i.e. will make contact with the tailgate) on the driver's side.  I wanted to mount it on the driver's side anyways, so it'll work, but I was thinking that the gap would have a little more room.

I have everything but the antenna (should arrive today) and the radio (arriving on Monday) so I can get to work on this project in the morning if I don't get called in for work.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: Jul 11, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
Did you have to work the gap between the tailgate and body at all?  My bracket just showed up and a quick check showed that there isn't enough gap on the passenger side and just barely enough gap (i.e. will make contact with the tailgate) on the driver's side.  I wanted to mount it on the driver's side anyways, so it'll work, but I was thinking that the gap would have a little more room.

I have everything but the antenna (should arrive today) and the radio (arriving on Monday) so I can get to work on this project in the morning if I don't get called in for work.

The bracket needs to be put in a vice and bent a little.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
The bracket needs to be put in a vice and bent a little.

Ok.  On my passenger there isn't enough gap for the thickness of the bracket, but I can make it work on the drivers side and a little custom bending could make a nice difference.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
Ok.  On my passenger there isn't enough gap for the thickness of the bracket, but I can make it work on the drivers side and a little custom bending could make a nice difference.

Unless your body is tweaked it will fit on the passenger side.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »
Unless your body is tweaked it will fit on the passenger side.

my body is all tweaked, the gap on my passenger side is huge, driver side there almost is no gap...stupid rocks.lol
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: Jul 11, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
my body is all tweaked, the gap on my passenger side is huge, driver side there almost is no gap...stupid rocks.lol

Mine appears to be closer to the opposite.  The passenger side gap is less than the thickness of the hinge plate and the drivers side looks to be workable at the top.  Considering it's not the original tailgate it has a pretty tight fit.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Jul 12, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
Spent yesterday helping zippo finish up his motor swap and also solving some problems with mine. Fixed my foul up with the front E-Locker connector. Its all sorted now and working beautifully. We also found out that my rear brakes were put together wrong and was causing the auto adjuters to auto adjust the wrong way so they were loosening instead of tightening. 

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: Jul 13, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »
So I've been re-thinking my plan to tie into my diff breathers for the E-Locker breathers. I realized that doing so would allow oil from the diff that has migrated up the differential breather hose the possibility to then go into my E-Locker breather at the T-Fitting. So I have been looking into one way valves to solve this issue and still be able to tie in like I had planned. I found this one way valve that looks like it should work. Would love to hear the thoughts on this plan.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39087470?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026952448&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=56100235569&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=88713230169&veh=sem

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '13
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #464 on: Jul 13, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »
Why not just extend the elocker breather?  Would seem cheaper and just as effective

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: Jul 14, 2015, 06:55:26 AM »
Why not just extend the elocker breather?  Would seem cheaper and just as effective

Because I'm lazy and want to tap into the already ran breathers.

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '13
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #466 on: Jul 14, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
Well if it's any consolation, my rear is zip tied to my rear diff breather and my front is clipped to the frame lol

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Jul 14, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
Well if it's any consolation, my rear is zip tied to my rear diff breather and my front is clipped to the frame lol

Coming to Naches?

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '13
    • View Profile
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #468 on: Jul 14, 2015, 09:46:06 PM »
Nope. Have some family coming in around that time.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Jul 21, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »
Changed the oil yesterday. Gotta love Costco and their pricing on Mobil 1. I opted for the bigger V8 oil filter YZZD3 over the smaller YZZD1 this time as well. It made it so that the system took almost another full quart of oil.

I could not get the damn filter off so I had to do the old screwdriver trick. I don't understand why it was on there so tight as I lubed the o-ring with oil and only tightened it by hand when I put it on. Who knows  :headscratch:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #470 on: Jul 21, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »
Atleast it's much easier to get to in your truck. In a taco that filter is a real pain when over tightened
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: Jul 21, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
I always run an oversize filter (M1-209 large capacity) with a full 5 quart jug.  I'm currently running Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended Performance in both my 4Runner and Sequoia and 5w-20 of the same in the Civic.  I have not seen the packaging you got, my Walmart only does the jugs and single quarts.

I've had the oil tested in the Sequoia and it's still like new at 10,000 miles.  I've seen oil reports for the 4.7L running the oil until 18,000 and it was still good to go.  I run the Sequoia to 10,000 miles, the car about 7,500 miles per the OLM, and the 4Runner for a year and I know this oil will be like new in every case.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50809.60

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #472 on: Aug 13, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
So I built SqWADoodh's doubler for him. The case was used and had some problems. But should work great!

Cleaned and ready to slap togerher.

All done.

This case has been rebuilt but has had a hard life. Someone overtightened a bolt that was to long.

If you see it, its for sale.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Aug 14, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »
So its been a while since I've posted an update. Reason being is that I have been busy with moving. The good news is that I finally have a garage!  :willynilly:  :bowdown: :clap: :clap2: :thumbs: :biggthumpup: :smokin: :D :yesnod:

I of course am just starting to outfit it. I started by having the father in law bring over some saws and other tools so we could build a work bench. I had a perfect little L-nook in mind that measured 90"x"96. So we knocked out a work bench with corresponding shelving. Now I have a place to put all my :pokinit: and further more a place to actually get some work done.

I have also been getting all my ducks in a row to finally get my duals in as you probably already figured out by zippo's post above (thanks buddy  :beerchug:) The few things I've had to get done before we could get them in included having my exhaust re-routed, get a cross member, and have enough money to pay for drive lines. So I went down to my exhaust guy yesterday and had him re-route my exhaust up under my bell housing of my transmission. It was then that I realized that my going with high pinion has one major down side. I now have to hope that my drive line doesn't hit my exhaust upon articulating.

I also got my sky's manufacturing cross member and got it painted. For some reason the painted picture didn't save but its semi-gloss black like everything else so you can use your imagination.

I also finally found a local parts store that had the correct size tubing for my e-locker motor breathers. I ran those up to the top and spliced them into my line from my diffs. Turned out pretty well.

I got some wheeling in as well. I took my club to Naches for a 4 day weekend and had a blast. Also zippo and I tagged along with another local club known as the Timber Tamers to Walker Valley for a day run.

The flop on Funny Rocks could have been a lot worse and thankfully I have the armor that I do which took the brunt of it. In fact I would have made it out without any body damage if it weren't for the first recovery attempt where they attempted to pull me straight out which caused this:

It hurts to look at however it is part of the game. My thought process is that I will be trimming fenders to go to 37s eventually anyways.

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #474 on: Aug 14, 2015, 07:38:45 AM »
It could be worse.........
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: Aug 14, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »
It could be worse.........

It can always be worse.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: Aug 14, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »

All ready for tomorrow.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: Aug 14, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
This must be the weekend for duals!

What's the plan for your rear driveshaft to get it back on the road?

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Aug 14, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
Fleet pride in Tacoma for a rear. Sent a core into high angle today for a front.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: Aug 15, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
Fleet pride in Tacoma for a rear. Sent a core into high angle today for a front.

They do weekends?