Author Topic: W56B shifter will not move once bolted up  (Read 1259 times)

IVrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 23
  • Male Posts: 352
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
W56B shifter will not move once bolted up
« on: Apr 27, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Hi folks!  Looking for some Toyota Trans expert advise.  My W56B was making noise without the clutch depressed in all gears except 4th.  I originally was hoping it was just he clutch release bearing so I replaced it along with the pilot bearing when changing out my clutch with a Marlin 1200lb.  The new clutch and bearings did not change anything  :smack: so I was hoping I could put it off until I went duals.  Well, it abruptly got really bad one day (super loud, but still drivable) after a few hour drive.  I had pinpointed as the input shaft bearing which I purchased from Cobra Transmission and replaced.  It did not look bad, but I've heard that sometimes is the case.  However, afterward I sealed the trans back up I noticed a clinking when I rotated the shaft in the back half of the trans so I pulled that portion off and found the counter shaft bearing had exploded and had only the inner part left on the shaft and all the bearings were at the bottom.  So, after I got this bearing swapped out I put it all back to gather and the shifter was stuck in reverse. :smack:  I couldn't figure this out and it took a few renditions of taking it a part and putting it back together to find out that as soon as I put the input shaft cover (not sure if that's the correct name) on it puts just enough pressure on the internals to make it so the shifter will not move.  I can back the 7+ bolts out a tiny bit and it will run thru all the gears just find.  I tapped the bearings on by keep the trans cold and heating the bearing up in the oven at no more than 150deg.  And, all the internals looked fine before bolting it up.

What could be the problem?  Did I not get a bearing on there all the way?  Could the blown counter shaft bearing caused something to come out of alignment?   
~Josh
-87 4Runner SR5 - SAS, 4.88's, 33 KM2s, Lockright front, elocker rear, frenched hangers, TG in front, 63’s in rear (DD)
-2010 4runner Trail (wife DD)
-2000 4runner 4WD manual Highlander -SOLD:(
-1986 Toyota pickup SAS on 35s -SOLD
-1985 4runner (first car) -SOLD

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: W56B shifter will not move once bolted up
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Sounds like you've left some of the bearing on the shaft.

Some bearings have a 2 piece center section.    Sort of a thick shim.    When you pull of the bearing, the shim is still pressed on the shaft, and you may not notice it.   

When you put the new bearing on,  the overall length is too long because of the shim.   

This happened with my sisters old Toyota corona,  didn't notice it until the countershaft fail thousands of miles later because there was a pre-load on the countershaft that shouldn't have been there.   Only noticed the shim when comparing old and new countershafts.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

IVrunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 23
  • Male Posts: 352
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
That is great info - thank you!  Do you happen to have a pic of this shim? or reference to the FSM?  Are you saying that the new bearing does not require a shim?  or are you saying that there are two types and I left a portion of it on there?  The old and the new looked exactly the same.

I have the trans all sealed up again except for the input shaft cover so I will check it out this weekend.  I will say that I do not remember a two piece center section of the countershaft bearing.  It seemed almost too simple to change out.  I did have a hard time getting the portion of the blown bearing off so I ended up having to put the puller on the gear and push it off while partially pulling the gear off.  Once It got close enough i tapped the gear back on with the new bearing.  However, I don't recall seeing anything left there that shouldn't have been.

A picture or some sort of visual would help until I break it open again if anyone has anything. 

Thanks again for your help Ed!

Josh
~Josh
-87 4Runner SR5 - SAS, 4.88's, 33 KM2s, Lockright front, elocker rear, frenched hangers, TG in front, 63’s in rear (DD)
-2010 4runner Trail (wife DD)
-2000 4runner 4WD manual Highlander -SOLD:(
-1986 Toyota pickup SAS on 35s -SOLD
-1985 4runner (first car) -SOLD

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
No pictures.....  (did that tranny about 25 years ago)

It's the same ID and OD as the center section of the bearing.    Maybe .1" thick.

Old bearing may have had it, and new bearing doesn't......... 

If it's there, you may have thought it was part of the shaft.

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15