Author Topic: 84' 22r Emissions control module .. Basic OHV setup  (Read 2009 times)

lostbuckaroo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
84' 22r Emissions control module .. Basic OHV setup
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Well I've done a bunch of searching and research... My setup will be a 20r/22r combo engine to run on propane. It appears as if my California 84' has this "Emissions Control Module"... I've done some searching on this and some guys say rip it out... and everything will run fine with out it... I'm not interested in ripping it out however there will be several plugs on the wiring harness that won't be used. I'm going to run as basic a setup as possible.

PCV Valve, Vacuum advance for the dist..  Factory oil pressure sending unit, and factory water temp gauge... that's it... other than factory connections for the ignition and charging systems.. That's all I will be using of the factory harness... Question is.. will everything still run fine?

It looks as if this truck originally came with an O2 sensor in the manifold as well... ? I'm planning on running the OE 20r Exhaust manifold till I get some more $$$ For a header.

Any help/opinions/experience would be much appreciated. Thank you.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Question is.. will everything still run fine?

It looks as if this truck originally came with an O2 sensor in the manifold as well... ? I'm planning on running the OE 20r Exhaust manifold till I get some more $$$ For a header.

Any help/opinions/experience would be much appreciated. Thank you.
first question, where are you??  this impacts alot.
second, unless you dont have anything else dont run a 20R exhaust, run a 22R stock manifold.  it flows better and will bolt right up.
 propane will run great with a high compression ratio. but you want about a 325 cfm intake so what are you using for a "carb" with the propane setup??

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
first question, where are you??  this impacts alot.
second, unless you dont have anything else dont run a 20R exhaust, run a 22R stock manifold.  it flows better and will bolt right up.
 propane will run great with a high compression ratio. but you want about a 325 cfm intake so what are you using for a "carb" with the propane setup??

I'm in california, the truck will be strictly off-road. So I have no emissions limitations. I've got the stock 20r intake bolted up..LCE adapter for the 22r carb base as per the GotPropane setup.  I do have what I think is a stock 22r exhaust manifold.. but it has an 02 sensor on it...?

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014, 10:16:45 AM by lostbuckaroo »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
ok, that looks good. if its never going to be smogged i would just wrap all that wiring up and zip tie it together so if you ever sold it or wanted to road it again you could.
yes, pull that 20R exhaust and install the 22R exhaust, see if you can find the twin tube one that runs down to about the cat area.  these allow more flow and give a little more torque.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ok, that looks good. if its never going to be smogged i would just wrap all that wiring up and zip tie it together so if you ever sold it or wanted to road it again you could.
yes, pull that 20R exhaust and install the 22R exhaust, see if you can find the twin tube one that runs down to about the cat area.  these allow more flow and give a little more torque.

Got it thank you for your help.