Author Topic: Traction Bar  (Read 7288 times)

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
Traction Bar
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
Just wondering why instead of the shackle in the front, you couldn't use tube/pipe sleeved like a DL to give you the forward/ backward motion. Anybody try this?

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Traction Bar
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:28:46 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Question for people who are running one. I switched to a detroit after many years of being welded and now I feel the truck twisting as I take off from
 a stop, do they help with that too?

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:19:45 AM »
I don't think the Detroit has anything to do with the twisting..........But a torque arm should help with any loads placed on the axle.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
I'm saying since only one tire is under power with the detroit it does make it twist from a dead start. Being welded it was equal

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
i have had a detroit locker in the rear for 2 years and i will never go back to a cheap lunch box locker or spool. but to answer your question yes at first it will seem like it twist but its not harming anything. the twisting effect you are feeling is all the torque being sent to the power wheel in the rear and with soft springs you will feel it move alot more...

i have ruf and soft worn out mazda hybrids in the rear and from a stop the front will lift slighty and the rear want to keep going,kinda causing the twisting effect you might be experiencing.

hope this helped..
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:57:56 PM »
My question is will the traction bar eliminate the twist? Still going to install one, but I'm hoping to eliminate the twist.
Haven't heard of the Mazda's for a long time. I ran them with goofy leafs while welded back in the day before it was easier to buy good rear springs and 63s became popular. I finally replaced the pads and U bolts from that set up last weekend (Cheap Flip Kit) after 14 years.

1985CRAWLER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 267
  • Male Posts: 1,163
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Backyard Built
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
yea a traction bar will eliminate the twist u are getting. i get mad axle wrap with my rear set up. im eventually gonna cave and go with 63s or f150s..whichever i find cheaper.

what rear springs are u running?if u are getting axle wrap or twisting just from a dead stop they might be way too soft or your shocks might not be doing there job keeping the tire on the ground or your shackles could be too wide for the springs causing to much play.

im just speaking from my experiences so idk for sure what is causing it.
low n' slow 85 runner SR5 22re,rcvs ,Duals,5.29s,Detroits f&r,40s,RUF,Chevy 63 rears,Armored,Cage

bobbed and beat 91 ex cab,3RZ swapped,dual ultimates, dana 44 sas 5.38/5.29 combo,37s, RUF, 63 rears,ARB front, detroit rear,cage

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=96250.msg1073007;topicseen#msg1073007

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26920.390

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »
Running 4" Marlin (Betts) springs with Johnny Joints, 6.5" Confer shackles with Procomp ES9000 shocks. Just finished relocating the shocks to near vertical to eliminate body roll. Truck goes down the freeway at 70 no problem and I can live with the twist. The track bar is so it will hopefully climb vertical ledges/waterfall type obstacles better. Just seems like it will unload and slide backwards in those situations, doesn't hop but I think (hope) it will hook up more like a linked set up.

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:36:01 AM »
One thing I like about my 63s is on the road, You can pretty much dump the clutch and it doesn't wheel hop. I want the torque arm for off road use where the lower gearing is making a lot more torque at the axle.

I was under the impression that a Detriot locker pulls both axles in a straight line just like a lunch box locker or a spool but will unload in a turn.  Detroit lockers do not transfer torque, They are a ratcheting locker.

Where as a Detroit true trac, while acting the same will unload if one wheel comes of the ground, That you can counter by useing the brakes.  True Tracs are a torque transfer type but use worm gears instead of clutches like an Auburn.

I know my drag car never twisted with a Detroit locker in it.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »
I'm running a Detroit NoSpin. Locks up when under power and one tire moves faster than the other, no problems there. When I take off the driver side lifts or the passenger side drops.

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
 The Detroit Locker maximizes traction by delivering 100% of the torque to both drive wheels. It is engineered to keep both wheels in a constant drive mode, and has the ability to automatically allow wheel speed differentiation when required.
Unless you take a corner under power, it drives like any normal vehicle.

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
I'm running a Detroit NoSpin. Locks up when under power and one tire moves faster than the other, no problems there. When I take off the driver side lifts or the passenger side drops.

That makes more sense to me,  When you first mentioned it you only said Detroit so I assumed A Detroit locker.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I had a buddy years ago with a traction bar over the driveshaft.  He could adjust the length of it with a big threaded section.  Depending on how it was adjusted the rear suspension would either jack up or squat down under load.  It was pretty cool.

Still had a little tourque twist off the line with the detroit though...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »
Ordered the Ruff Stuff kit last Fri. should be here today. May run the shackle, but leaning towards using a slip joint. Ordered the kit with 1.5" DOM X .25 top and bottom. Plan to sleeve the DOM with some 1.5" X .145 wall pipe I have. If nothing else, it should lower my COG with all that steel.

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:23:10 PM »
Finished it up last weekend and it removed all of the unwanted twisting while taking off. Should be going to Hungry Valley for a run on the 6th to try it out on the obstacle coarse.

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
Pics

Mario

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2014, 05:53:41 PM »
 :smokin:Here are pics of my track bar.
1984 Toyota Pickup, EFI with duel cases, 5.29's in the diffs, 4" Trailer HD leafs in the front, Chevy's with 3" blocks and a track bar/pan hard bar in the rear with full exo cage.

Dirt Mover [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 06, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
Just an update of what I've learned running running a traction bar. Even with new unaltered All Pro/ Betts springs there is spring wrap, I ripped part of my horseshoe crossmember off on the sluice after Red Lake taking the left line. (The weld held, the frame didn't)
When I set mine up, I allowed the front mount to twist and move back and forth as well as having the shackle installed for movement and with Johnny Joints on the rear spring shackles, this didn't work out. The Johnny Joints allows the springs to move sideways a little causing the front shackle of the track bar to twist. When this happens and you need the traction bar it doesn't work because it twists and lifts in the front.
Even without the twisting problems, I wouldn't do it again. Sometimes when you need it, having the shackle mount able to slide forwards and backwards hurts you. When the front tries to lift it can cause the shackle to flatten out and the mount to slide to the back.
Anyways, I think the traction bar is worth the work. Just keep it simple. :twocents: