Author Topic: Dual purpose rig (street/trail) or tow rig/trailer?  (Read 2315 times)

Reynolds

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 491
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Dual purpose rig (street/trail) or tow rig/trailer?
« on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »
Which would you choose?

I could slap some 1 tons under my Tacoma and drive it to the trails and use it for odd jobs where a truck is needed or sell the Taco and buy a 5.7 Tundra as a tow pig and get a cheap built Toyota to trailer to the trails. I'm leaning towards selling the Taco for a Tundra just because I could pull whatever I wanted behind the truck whereas with the Taco, I'm kinda stuck. It would cost more for the Tundra/trailer/beater but probably worth it in the long run. Tow pig could be a Cummins as well but I don't really need that kind of towing power.

I started out with an axle swapped 98 extra cab that was my daily driver for 6 years and got tired of it quickly. Now that I have a Honda to drive to work, the toys can be swapped around a little easier :D
-Brian

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
A lot of it depends on what you can afford.  Obviously buying a tundra and then an older toy could wind up being significantly more expensive than just fixing up what you got.  Whatever you do I would try not to have a dedicated trailer queen, as its annoying when you can't just take it out for a spin.

Kevo

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Along with your budget, some other things to consider:
What is the type of trails you run the most, i.e start at one end, camp along the way, and exit the other side, or start and leave from the same area.

Is there ample parking and place to turn the trailer around at the trail heads of the trails you run?

When you do hit the trails would you be leaving your rig unattended over night?

Do you do you have the storage space for a trailer queen and tow rig.

Will you tow enough other things to justify the added costs of a rig that wont hardly get used?

Just about all my buddies got bit by the trailer queen bug 5-6 years ago, most of them that have stayed w/the hobby have dumped them and gone back to street-to-trail rigs, and seem to prefer it over the towing a trailer.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Reynolds [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 491
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Along with your budget, some other things to consider:
What is the type of trails you run the most, i.e start at one end, camp along the way, and exit the other side, or start and leave from the same area.

Is there ample parking and place to turn the trailer around at the trail heads of the trails you run?

When you do hit the trails would you be leaving your rig unattended over night?

Do you do you have the storage space for a trailer queen and tow rig.

Will you tow enough other things to justify the added costs of a rig that wont hardly get used?

Just about all my buddies got bit by the trailer queen bug 5-6 years ago, most of them that have stayed w/the hobby have dumped them and gone back to street-to-trail rigs, and seem to prefer it over the towing a trailer.

Trails I run most are typically start at one end, camp along the way and exit the other side, far away from the trailer. Parking for a trailer wouldn't be too bad, but more costly. Rig unattended over night? I assume you mean tow rig, if so, yes. Obviously a lot less room for a trailer and tow rig and trail truck LOL. I would tow other things but nothing at the moment. I didn't think of half the things you mentioned, that makes me want to build my Taco and not look back :D If I happen to need a heavy load moved, I could call a buddy.

Kevo, I agree fully. If I wanted to go for a day trip to Hollister or somewhere, I would have to trailer it. What a pain in the ass! Signs are pointing towards building the Taco, which is what I was hoping for.

This is the kind of information I was looking for! Thanks guys :D
-Brian

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
A few things to consider when making this kind of decision, if you are going to just be doing moderate to hard trails then a dual purpose/daily driver could be considered and this is the way I fly. I dd my rig but you won't find it anywhere on a Hammers trail since I will have to drive it to work on Monday. If you plan on extreme trails don't expect to drive it to work the next day or you will find yourself walking. So if you plan on some moderate wheeling and driving it to work build what you have, but if you plan on trying to destroy your wheeler every other weekend then build a dedicated rig and tow it to the trails with your newly purchased Tundra.

Personally I require my rig to be streetable so that I can drive it to the trail on a day run, just makes things easier when I don't have to load it on a trailer. I can always call my work and have them come and get it/me or have my son/wife bring something to drag my sorry ass home.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
All my buddies who have gone trailor queen have quit wheeling shortly thereafter.  It seems to be the kiss of death around here...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I know a few of those too, takes all the fun out of it. I always make mine capable of driving down the street as well as the trail.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
I love driving my Runner all over town. Don't mind driving it to the trails either. And after years of driving it to the trail I've finally come to the decision that there isn't enough room in it to bring all the items I want to take with me when I go to places like the hammers. So a tow rig was in order. With that said when I go to the Rubicon I take only the Runner. So now its all about where I am going. If its an off-road park its tow but if it's "A" trail then its the runner. Plus with a tow rig I have a daily vehicle for when I have major mods or repairs to the Runner.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html