Author Topic: i wanna put 63s in the rear of my 85runner need help  (Read 7208 times)

slimlaudin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 62
  • Member since Nov '12
  • lets wheel
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i wanna put 63s in the rear of my 85runner need help
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
Ok i got some springs and the stock chevy shackles..i wanna make sure i have everything ready before i start cus its my dd..so im looking for tips tricks lots of pics lol..im just really worried about allinm.cus i dont want to be driving sideways lol and wat kinda spring perch do i need for the front side? Thanks guys a bunch :beerchug:
85 runner,e lockers fr/rr 38s and still adding!!

Speak english or shut the flopp up

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you need hangars in front, and H type shackles in the rear

i wouldn't do it the way gm does it, as their mounts are upside down, outside of the frame rails

you need to do some measuring because if you don't that is where you will be driving down he street sideways
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

slimlaudin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • lets wheel
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Yeah i wanted to do the duel shackle set up in the rear using the chevy shackles

rubiconrunnerneville

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Jan '12
  • I need 37s
    • View Profile
what I have done in the past is run a string down where I want the axle to end up and with the rear end mocked up with leafs and front hangers installed I roll my axle underneath till its centered on the string and lower the back down till it holds the front hanger in place barely an tack it in place hope this helps and isn't too little too late
ASE certified tech. Cummins factory trained tech.

laskt9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Don't do dual shackles for daily driving

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Tim Steele

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I just did this swap on my truck. My advice is definitely plum bob your center pin off your upper bump pad. Mount the chevy leafs on your axle with the mounts attached to the springs. Line up your axle center pin mark with your plum bob. Once every thing is in place then tack up your mounts. Take lots of measurements. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you going to be in a hurry. You always have to go back and do things over. I definitely wouldnt run dual shackles in a road worthy rig. This write up might help also. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/20665-63-chevy-1-2-ton-spring-swap-faq.html
Here is a few pics of testing them out.

Here is a

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Any more on this?  I've read TTORA and PBB-both threads.  I plan on doing this on my 2000 Taco.

I have the chevys and just got RuffStuffs conversion kit.  I would like to do a u-bolt flip at the same time.  Probably take the rest of the year to get parts. :thumbdown:

My list:

Springs(63s)
Ruffstuff kit
Ubolt flip kit
shocks and tabs
relocate bumps
relocate shock mounts
box or plate the frame
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2013, 09:18:43 AM by Wainiha »
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

slimlaudin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • lets wheel
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Sick truck tim..didnt think about running a drop line off bump stop :bowdown:..thanks for that i diff gonna take my time thats why i havnt done the swap yet..but i do know a few people running duel shackle with no bad effects plus i guess u can work off the stock shackle hanger and get reall decent drop wich im going for when i throw on my rancho xl9000 14in shocks..but diff gonna take all ur advice going into this wanna get er done right the first time :beerchug:

4low4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Jun '11
  • Let it idle and crawl...
    • View Profile
I've ran Chevy 63 with dual shackle on my 85 4 runner daily drive it everyday it ride so smooth no clunks or bang at all everyone just exaggerated amazing flex I love it.

Jagdverband44

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
what I have done in the past is run a string down where I want the axle to end up and with the rear end mocked up with leafs and front hangers installed I roll my axle underneath till its centered on the string and lower the back down till it holds the front hanger in place barely an tack it in place hope this helps and isn't too little too late

Got any pics Runnerville?? I too plan on an RUF setup with 63" rears and want my runner as close to stock height as possible with 4.56s and 33s mild mellow dd and tons of droop.

I've got the most liftedest truck in town, that little jap truck done stand no chance gainst my Chevy. My Chevy gots a V8 more lift an bigger tires,and an exhaust system, whats yer tuna can got, a V4, and them tires look like they is offa Saturn Corulla. The dealer instulled my lift, so ya no its done right, you just try to foller me throo them rocks an see what a reel truck can do.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
My runner is super low on 4deez RUF and 63's out back with frenched hangers... nice low center of gravity! I really need to get me ass in gear and finish the damn thing......
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

85inprogress

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ok i have one question about gm 63s vs stock length lift springs. If I do just stock length lift springs will it not flex at much or whats the big deal about gm 63s. thanks in advance.
85 toyota hilux bone stock

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
They are suppose to flex more.  You don't have to run all the leafs either.  I'm going to start with the main three.  Overload and the next taken out.

I need a to borrow a DD so I can take my time though.  I can't weld and frenching in the hangers is some real commitment.  I guessing a weekend if I have a friend that welds and has patience with me.

Plum bob.  7.5 inches forward to start with on my 2000 taco.  Then tack, cross tape, measure.
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

hansi530

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 412
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
skys offroad just came out with a 63 swap kit that looks pretty good and american made :usa: :usa:
88 custom cab: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88026.new#new
shitlbuffout-A saying among 4x4 and off road enthusiasts. Its said after damage normally cosmetic to minor parts damage has occurred on there rig or vehicle. Shitlbuffout is :pokinit: will buff out as in the :pokinit: being the damage will buff as in painted over cleaned polished or "buffed" out.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
  The easiest and fastest way to set up the rear springs is to simply measure the difference in the distance between the center pin and forward spring eye centerline on both the stock and 63" springs. If the difference is 7 inches (just for eaxample. Yours may measure different. Mine was 11 inches) Then hang the 63's in the shackles while loosely U-bolted to the axle for the proper width. Set your new hangers loosely on the front spring eyes with the new hardware and raise the assembly to the frame with a floor jack. Just put enough pressure against the frame that you can move the hangers by tapping them with a hammer and that they will stay where you put them. You might want to premark the frame so you have a general idea of where the hagers will end up for that 7 inches forward. Then measure and position the front hangers that 7 inches forward of the stock hanger on the frame. If you have to, you can make a pair of jigs that bolt into the stock spring hanger that will fit against the back side of the spring eye to hold the spring at the desired distance from the stock spring hanger. Then just check that the hangers are even from side to side and tack them on. Make any other measurements/adjustments that will satisfy you in knowing it is right where you want it, remove the springs from the hangers and finish welding it all in. Then finish putting everything back together and cut off the stock spring hanger for good. This will get the axle centered in the wheel well and you may need to figure something out with the shackles if the angle isn't satisfactory. Hope this made any sense at all and you should be able to do this in a weekend without too much trouble.  :thumbs:

Just FYI....I removed my fuel tank so I could get a full weld all the way around the hanger. You may need to do the same. I'm sure I don't have to  :blah:  :blah:  :blah: about welding and gas fumes.  :biggthumpup:

I'm running dual shackles as well on a DD. So, don't believe the hype.  8)

OH!  :think:  Also, if you're looking for a cheap way to do a U-bolt flip, I just simply used the stock u-bolts and spring plates from a 1/2T chevy. The U-bolts were the right size for the '88 axle that's in my truck if that's any use to ya.  :beerchug:

Good luck and enjoy the build.

slimlaudin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '12
  • lets wheel
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Ok guys got it done and im really happy with the results...cant load pics but i did alot of research and took wat everybody said into mind...so this is wat i did made it really easy..i looked around on the introweb the stoutest hangers i found were thrue ballistic fab 45$ i took a peice of square stock drilled two holes 11in eye to eye,bolted that to stock front hanger and bolted new hanger to the other end. Placed it up against frame and these hangers were 1/2in out from the frame on both sides welded her up,ran stock chevys up top with a 8in center to center hole shackle off that"gonna lower it down to 6in when i redo front springs" bolted it all up the rear rides like a caddi:) and flexes amazing hopes this helps thanks a bunch guys