Author Topic: Axle Wrap  (Read 3094 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Axle Wrap
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:31:01 PM »
Has anyone tried mounting a shock from the top if the differential to the frame similar to a 3 or 4 link setup?  I realized that there is nothing new under the sun and someone has probably already tried it, but it seems that the problem with axle wrap is a result of the spring unloading (impact force) rather than the spring loading.  It seems that a stiff shock could reduce or eliminate any quick rotation of the differential.  I can only assume that this has been tried and didn't work since I have not seen it done before.  Any thoughts? <Blackdiamond>
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005, 07:07:12 AM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: Axle Wrap
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »
It's been done, doesn't work all that well compared to a good track bar setup...If you are welding bracket tabs on anyway, why not setup a shackle on the crossmember and run it via trackbar to the axle, no hindrance to articulation and it will take care of you axle wrap.   :biggthumpup:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:11:25 PM »
If you have a 3 or four link setup, doesn't that take care of axle wrap by itself?  If you have two links on top of the axle and two on hte bottom, the axle shouldn't wrap, right?  I thought axle wrap was only a problem with leaf springs.
Welders Hold the World Together!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »
If you have a 3 or four link setup, doesn't that take care of axle wrap by itself?  If you have two links on top of the axle and two on hte bottom, the axle shouldn't wrap, right?  I thought axle wrap was only a problem with leaf springs.

He is using the 3-link "style" as an example for you to visualize what he is talking about...he means using it as one link to stop axle wrap with his leaf springs.
And yes, a four link would have virually no axle wrap, unless build by a moron.   :hammerhead:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2005, 03:46:51 PM »
I currently have no trouble with axle wrap since my 4.5 inch Superlift rear springs flex about as well as a 4x4 square tube.  I am in the process of ordering some Alcan rear springs (stock mounts).  The proposed setup was just something that I dreamed up and wanted some feedback on.  I am not sure how a link betwen the axle and the cross member using a shackle would prevent any wrap, I guess I am not visualizing what you mean, any pictures?  It seems to me that the shackle would allow nearly free movement...maybe I just figured it out.  Are you talking about attaching the link to both the top and bottom of the axle keeping them in plane with each other while still allowing movement forward and aft?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2005, 09:02:01 PM »
The shock thing doesn't work. It slows the movement, but the problem is having movement period. If it's allowed to move it could put your pinion angle to a point where you'll have breakage probs, and broken springs.
As far as the shackle set up, I think you've got it.....2 or 3 points fixed on the axle housing and a shackle purpendicular to the main bar. It does allow for axle articulation, but I had a problem with straight up and down movement. Personally i'm going back to a single bar, and with the right geometry it won't hinder travel in any direction. Keepin it simple.

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2005, 01:17:40 AM »
This is what I'm running and its awesome...I have no problems with it..Its quiet and cheap..I used solid bushings and use the tube to slide in and out for flex..Seems to move just fine..I forgot where I copied this from but this is where I based it from..

Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!