Author Topic: Death Wobble Cures  (Read 4010 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Death Wobble Cures
« on: Jul 25, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
Here's what happened to me with a death wobble appearing out of nowhere, makes sense since I placed my front axle in a new position, what's your story and what was the fix? Just goes to show even a rig that is kept in tiptop shape can be affected.

Since there have been some people having issues with the dreaded death wobble I thought that I might share my recent experiences with this issue, what seemed to cause it and what my cure was. What it showed me was that even a minor alteration or geometry or position of the axle itself can cause this condition and not just worn parts and my parts usually don’t get to be worn out before I replace them so it was even more baffling that it happened.

Recently I did a minor suspension lift to my 4Runner, this was off of stock springs and I was looking at an off-road trip to Arizona and didn’t have enough time to build my Frankensprings that were still in the research and acquisition stages. So to get a little lift from stock I decided to just throw on two inches of lift with some shackles. All bushings were replaced and new front shocks were added since the stock shocks ran out of talent. The rear shocks were already aftermarket and were also coilovers to help with the typical 4Runner sag.

As always I do any changes to my rigs in stages so one night at work I put the rears on and the next night I put the fronts on. After putting the rears on I had no issues, got the desired 2 inches and got the same with the fronts, though I did notice that my axle did pivot down a little. As I drove it for the next few days I noted that I now had a slight shimmy in the steering wheel but got a shocker one day under hard braking, major death wobble.

I checked my alignment and though it was not perfect it would have been within specs so I was stumped. The one thing I did notice was that the more gear I put in the rear of my truck the more pronounced and frequent the wobble would become and my truck would sit down in the rear making the front lighter. This made me scratch my head even more so I set out to put my Frankensprings for the rear in high gear, this would allow me to remove the coilover springs and give me a better ride since they are stiff and never really did much for the sag that they advertised.

Last night I finished building my springs for the rear and installed them, pulled off the coilovers from the shocks and gained around 2 inches of lift in the rear. Since I do this at work I was carrying a full load of tools and related Toyota parts so I could feel the wobble going to work. Once I finished the install I put all my stuff back in the bed and instantly noted that the springs supported the load much better since the old ones with the coilovers sagged as much as 3 inches and the new set settled in at around 1 inch so even with all my junk at around 500 pounds I still had a lift that would translate to around 4 inches over the other even with it being loaded.

As to the wobble, it is gone even the shimmy in the steering went away. This had made me realize that I may not build Frankensprings so quickly but in but to put the geometry  back to what it was by moving the front down a couple inches with the front portion of a SAS kit or build one myself and include a receiver in the front. Hopefully by doing this it will completely fix the death wobble.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

greenjacob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Re: Death Wobble Cures
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
rotate tires does wonders some times
1986 4runner 93 22re 5.29s locked f/r duals twin sticks 39.5s

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2012, 01:51:17 AM »
So here's what I'm thinking, with A being my axle position in stock trim and B being the position once I added the lift putting my alignment in a different position and creating my wobble. Once I added the lift to the rear it put the axle back into specs and the wobble went away. So hopefully once I add the SAS spring hanger to the front it will move the angle back to A, at least that's the plan.

I rotate my tires at regular intervals but only front to rear and rear to front since they are directional and it never changed the wobble.

greenjacob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
good luck. stearing stabilizer can help
1986 4runner 93 22re 5.29s locked f/r duals twin sticks 39.5s

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
Moving your axle and adding longer shackles changed your caster.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »
I know, that's why the rear lift put it back somewhat and is why I feel that moving the front hangers down will put things proper. I could also add a shim to my pack but feel that is just a band-aid. Plus moving the hangers will put the springs in a more natural position instead of the angle down they are in now. I'm just showing those that are doing their 1st build or don't understand why that lift is making a death wobble.