Author Topic: 2nd gen 4runner v6 t-case options?  (Read 9413 times)

TimberlineBryce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 517
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
2nd gen 4runner v6 t-case options?
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
I've got a 94 5spd v6 4runner with SAS an rear leafs, stock 4.56 front and rear with stock t-case, running on 35in tires... Trying to stay loooow budget here, has anyone run dual chain drive cases or put 4.70 in thier chain t-case?? I don't really have a million dollars to spend on adapters and new cases... Is the v6 t-case really that much weaker?? Any other junkyard options?? I should also say that I don't plan on going off trail just want to make it in and make it out, i wanna be able to do dusy and swamp lake. Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:03:37 AM by TaroVr6 »
See you at the Timberline!

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
Re: 2nd gen 4runner v6 t-case options?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
Ok I was reading a little more... Can I run a gear t-case behind my chain t-case and only buy one adapter plate??

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:58:45 AM »
I found this which if true seems promising...
That was why Marlin didn't try to produce an adapter for a long time, but then through testing, he discovered that the 3.0 t-case is in fact strong enough to handle the stress.  The taco case is probably stronger, but IIRC, marlin discovered that the 3.0 chain drive t-case is of similar strength as the gear driven t-case.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to adapt that crossmember either.  I made a chain drive t-case mount by cutting of one side of the mounting tab,and welding it on at a different angle. ...

So is it possible to run dual 3.0 t-cases??

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
...one more question does the auto and manual 3.0 have the same t-cases??

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:08:21 PM »
I feel like I'm talking to myself here... Lol!

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »
You have the r-150 transmission with that came stock with a chain drive transfer case. these are typically not used when people do dual cases. When a customer does a dual case behind a v6 transmission like you have, they do a dual gear drive unit and put whats called a 3.0 plate in front of that unit to adapter to your r-150 transmission. Then in this uni5t, they put in the 4.70 low range gears in the rear transfer case and keep the stock 2.28 gearing in the crawl box (right behind the transmission). And the auto and 3.0 does have the same chain drive transfer case. here are links on our website.  http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups.

and the 3.0 plate. http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/transmission-to-transfer-case-adapters
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:27:41 PM by Goldrush »
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks, is there an adapter to run dual stock 3.0 t-cases?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »
You will either run two gear driven cases, or one gear driven case in front of the oem chain case.  If you haven't come across the info yet, this page http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/line-ups/crawl-boxes/dual-case-unit-v6-mc10-t360 explains what is needed to run a gear driven case w/the chain driven one.

Given that you are under geared for the tires you are running, and not looking to spend a lot, you would likely get more bang for your buck by swapping the 4.56 geared diffs for some 5.29's.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
Baaaaahhh now im even more confused!?? 21/23 splines v6 3.0 3.4 chains geardrive adapterplate tranny adapter top shift forward shift 2.28/4.70... my brain is melting and my eyes are getting crossed! Lol sorry i have ADD;)) ...that link is for the later 3.4, what i want to do is use my 3.0 chain tcase behind a geardrive tcase???  ...or maybe its cheaper to buy one adapter and just run a single geardrive tc with 4.70??? then i wont have to modify my xmember or drivelines...

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »
Sell your motor and swap in a 22re and harness. Way less headache!

Or start searching for used junk on pirate.  I've seen a whole setup with dual cases,4.7s and a v6 adapter for about $650

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Oh what Nice!!!! I like that idea, and it's def in my price range... :moods:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:25:45 PM »
The 23 spline is needed for the the amount of torque/hp that the 3.0 puts down as compared to the 22r(e)'s, which is why the 22rte(turbo) came with a 23 spline to start with.

The 3.4 uses the same transmissions as the 3.0, so the trans to gear drive t-case adapter plate should be the same, a call to Marlin would confirm if the gear driven to chain driven t-case adapter plate is also the same.

Running a single 4.7 case is an option, a lot of people do.  I am not sure if it is a complete bolt-in procedure, the adapter plate may cause the need to relocate/modify the X-member and the drivelines.  The cost of running duals on my '90 was one the main reasons why I decided to build my '91 w/22re.

Another option may be to run an R151f transmission from a turbo, then you can bolt up dual(23 spline) gear driven t-cases, the same way you would w/a 22re, and save the cost of the r150 trans to gear driven t-case adapter plate.  This was the route the guy I bought my dual 21 spline t-cases from was trying to go w/his '89 3.0 equipped Runner.  IIRC, he determined that he could use the r150 bell housing with the r151f transmission., a call/email to Marlin should let you know if this is possible.

Given the trail rating of Swamp lake and depending on your skill level, the single chain driven t-case along with proper gear ratio(5.29s for the 35's) should be low enough for you to get through with little issue.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
Thanks good info! It seems there is an abundance of chain drive t-cases in the junkyards around here, i have yet to find a gear drive and i go at least once a week... i guess 5.29's are the more immediate and cheaper solution until i can get my hands on some reasonably priced t-cases or find something used online...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
Due to he popularity Toyota trucks had at the height of the wheeling craze, most wrecking yards are still charging a premium for their t-cases.  If you keep an eye out on craigslist, and the For sale section here and on Pirate, you can usually find top shift cases for under $150 and forward shift cases(which can be converted) for under $100.

Used 5.29 diffs should run about $350 w/open diffs, $500 w/an auto-locker, or about $750 w/an ARB or a Toyota e-locker.  To help offset the cost of the swap, you should be able to get about $500 for your set of 4.56's from someone only looking to run 31's or 33's.

While not an alternative to dual cases, I found kicking on the a/c would put enough drag on the engine that I could descend hills and ledges w/o the need to use the brakes, and turning up the idle screw on the intake plenum helped to reduce stalls when trying to climb up rocks and ledges.  Years ago on a run I ran into a guy who used a hand throttle to free up his right foot so he could ride the brakes, similar to what can be accomplished with an automatic transmission.

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:53 PM »
I have a whole ifs rear axle with 529s and detroit locker that I might be selling soon.

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:14 PM »
Let me know how much...

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
Due to he popularity Toyota trucks had at the height of the wheeling craze, most wrecking yards are still charging a premium for their t-cases. 

I did not realize the wheeling craze was over!  Seems like there are more people than ever in toyotas and on the trails.

Kevo

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »
No ya the wheeling craze is over, everybody just go home now, nothing to see here... :P

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 02, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
I did not realize the wheeling craze was over!  Seems like there are more people than ever in toyotas and on the trails.

Kevo

While wheeling Toys is still a popular choice, the hobby took off around ‘02-‘03 and hit its high point around early ‘08, however, as the “Funny Money” began to dry up, the growth of the hobby started to slow as well.  Over the last 4yrs rig values have plummeted, and most of the 4x4 fab shops that sprung up have closed theor doors along with shops and manufactureres that were established prior to the boom.  Durring the boom years beat-up SA's were selling for around $2500 even if not running, while clean stock ones were selling for around $5k, now you can buy fully built rigs with w/all the bells and whistled for under $6k.  So yes, I think it is safe to say the wheeling craze is over, which really couldn't have come soon enough.  The boom of our hobby brought far too many people to the trails, which in turn brought the  attention of the environmentalists, resulting in the closing of sections and entire trails.  With any luck the decline in popularity will help cause the environmentalists to turn their focus elsewhere.

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2012, 03:46:14 PM »
I think the economy has effected all automotive hobbies in general, people need to sell thier toys to pay bills which made supply more available to the market which brought prices down, doesnt mean the craze is over it just means people dont have extra money for hobbies like they used to...

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
Sure would not know that the "wheeling craze" was over if you were on the Con this last weekend. There was over 2,000 people on the valley floor at Rubicon Springs this last weekend for the Jeepers Jamboree!!!!

Your best bet is to go dual, gear drive cases with 4:7's in the rear case. Awesome combo and you have the stock low gear for "fire roading" I started with one single gear drive case with 4:7's and with in a year I had dual cases, missed the stock low gear. When I put the single case in I used the stock x-member and the stock D-shafts. When I did the SAS I had to get a long slip d-shaft for the front.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

TimberlineBryce [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Timberline offroad
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
Found a top shift tcase at the junkyard but I passed cause they wanted $160 plus tax!!!!!!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
I never said that the wheeling hobby is dead, only the craze that fueled the outrageous prices that people expected to get for parts, and in turn for their built rigs, is dead.  I am sure we will still see large turnouts at big events, but we wont ever see the numbers joining the hobby as we did durring the last decade.