Poll

Which do you think is a better option? Building Dual Cases or Buying them?

Get the Marlin Ultimate Crawler
Build it yourself!
Single Case with 4.7's
Buy the adaptor run it as is, till you can buy a Ultimate Crawler setup

Author Topic: Buying Ultimate Crawler vs. Building Dual Case  (Read 1607 times)

ToyotaObsession

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Buying Ultimate Crawler vs. Building Dual Case
« on: Apr 06, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »
So basically it's that eternal question... what to do. I've got a buddy who's acquired a bunch of old Parts for free. He's got a Taco and most of the parts are for Second Gen Trucks/1st Gen 4Runners and mostly useless to him. So he's going to give me a almost whatever I want. There's 2 T-Cases, a Tranny, 2 Rear Axles, etc. But I digress.

So of course upon hearing that I'm getting 2 free T-Cases my first thoughts are DUAL SETUP! As as I'm sure others have been in this position before. I thought I would ask for some advice.  :help:

I have never torn down a T-Case before but I figured what better time to learn? LOL I'm assuming it's going to be the most common stuff out there 21 spine, etc. I started looking at what it would cost for the Dual Adapter vs. the cost of getting a Dual Ultimate Crawler. Currently I have no idea what condition the T-Cases are in but I'm betting they've been sitting for awhile and are in need of a rebuild.

Would it be cheaper for me to do it all myself? or is this something that's going to be such a pain in the butt and probably going to cost more in the long run I'm better off just getting the Ultimate Crawler from the beginning and save myself a lot of headache?

A 3rd option I was considering was just getting the adapter and running them stock and learn the in's and out's of Dual Cases then eventually upgrade to a Dual Ultimate or rebuilding it all. I understand that it's a bit more complicated than that. But if you have any advice to give I would love to hear it! Thanks guys!
Wait... What?

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Ultimate Crawler vs. Building Dual Case
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
Depends on your mechanical ability and your budget. Go to the tech pages and see the dual adapter installation instructions.

If you think you can handle it, buy the adapter and go for it.

They may not need a total rebuild. Tear into them and see. Maybe just a reseal and some new output flanges.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

ToyotaObsession [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
Lol my Budget right now sucks. But I can always find money to support the habit.

I mean given enough time I can take just about anything apart and with some help get it put back together. I'm not in a big hurry to get it done because it's just my toy and they are extra Cases so I can still drive it while I'm playing with them.
Wait... What?

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »
It will be tons cheaper to build it yourself. If you think you can tear into it then go for it.

ToyotaObsession [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
Lol that's what I'm leaning to, it's free and there's 2 of them. I just hope they are the gear driven T-Cases. If they are chain driven I've heard it's expensive to convert them.
Wait... What?