Author Topic: 351C in 84 Toyota  (Read 2077 times)

crawlin83

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
351C in 84 Toyota
« on: Mar 28, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Has anybody ever put a 351C in a Toyota pickup along with a t-18? If so i'd like to see pic's. I'm thinking about doing this to mine and running dual toyota transfer case's with 1 ton axle's. It would be one wild ride that is for sure.

crawlin83 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 351C in 84 Toyota
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
I'm sure everybody is probably thinking "dude your freaking crazy for even thinking about trying this" :hahaha:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »
eh not really.. ive got a 350 in my toyota but the 351c is a pretty damn big engine. might aswell be a big block.  Its doable but i dont think the t18 or the toyota cases would like it a whole lot.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

crawlin83 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
haha yeah that is what I figured. Yeah it is a pretty big motor, it'd be a wild ride that is for sure.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
I don't know, part of what makes Toyotas act like Toyotas on the trail is smaller power plants and awesome gearing.  I have literally spanked DOZENS of guys on the trail with V8 swaps in their Jeeps and Toyotas. This is especially true in the deep snow for whatever reason I don't know, you would think bigger power would be better there, but it just doesn't work out in reality.  In all other trail conditions a nice V8 just breaks stuff unless you run 1 ton axles and huge drivetrain parts, which kind of defeates the purpose of running a Toyota anyway...

I even had a V8 swaped 1980 Toyota for a while.  Now I have the same year and model with the 20r and it waxes all over the V8 truck as far as wheeling goes. On the highway and the street the V8 Toyota was super fun.  You could smoke ricers all day long around town.

If you want to focus on mud racing only and the street a V8 would probably be fun but from what I've seen and experienced the 4 banger is the wat to go for extreme wheeling.

Ultimately it's your build though so if you want big power, tear it up!
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
Am a fan of Ford c, w's, and fe's big blocks or small blocks, but what are your plans for this truck? If you do swap the 351c in an want still use toyota t-cases am sure something will break, with alot more torque and hp going through.

Also I dont think a t-18 can be bolted up to a toyota t-case? Maybe a divorced adapter? Sure you could bling the t-case up but i dont still think it cant handle that power. Just use a ford t-case from a 70s 4wd truck.

Axles might last a little while depending on your foot lol. Am sure upgrades needed as well, and I agree with H8PVMNT. I've seen the bling toyotas with all the top offroad gear from marlin, tg, etc, get blown away from an orginal most compele truck with a basic lift or no lift do better. Not sure why, maybe driver lol. Same goes for those formula toyotas, either they baby them or something i wont say lol. And again the basic toyota beats them too.

Heck look at the toyota 1st gen, but maybe some upgrades here and there but mostly toy running gear at king of the hammers 2012, the black one. That truck did better than most of the high dollar machines. still if your heart one it, get some running gear out of a 70s ford truck or out of early early bronco.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

crawlin83 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »
Am a fan of Ford c, w's, and fe's big blocks or small blocks, but what are your plans for this truck? If you do swap the 351c in an want still use toyota t-cases am sure something will break, with alot more torque and hp going through.

Also I dont think a t-18 can be bolted up to a toyota t-case? Maybe a divorced adapter? Sure you could bling the t-case up but i dont still think it cant handle that power. Just use a ford t-case from a 70s 4wd truck.

Axles might last a little while depending on your foot lol. Am sure upgrades needed as well, and I agree with H8PVMNT. I've seen the bling toyotas with all the top offroad gear from marlin, tg, etc, get blown away from an orginal most compele truck with a basic lift or no lift do better. Not sure why, maybe driver lol. Same goes for those formula toyotas, either they baby them or something i wont say lol. And again the basic toyota beats them too.

Heck look at the toyota 1st gen, but maybe some upgrades here and there but mostly toy running gear at king of the hammers 2012, the black one. That truck did better than most of the high dollar machines. still if your heart one it, get some running gear out of a 70s ford truck or out of early early bronco.
Plans for the truck is off road only(Trail riding, rock crawling and some deep snow runs while i'm out in Colorado this winter). Now I do do more trail riding with steep hills alot more than I crawl but I still wanna be able to crawl when I need to or want to. The only reason I wanted to keep the yota cases was because I just bought a dual transfer case adapter and was gonna run duals, but I can sell that no problem. I already have the 351C, T-18 and either a np205 or np203 I don't remember which one's in the truck that the motor and transmission is still in. If I really do end up doing this swap I will more than likely put a set of 1 tons under it. Don't really see the point in sinking alot of money into a set of Yota's and have to baby them because of the power and running between 37"-40" tires. I'm sure they would last awhile but i'm not afraid to hold one to the floor when need be. I'm not trying to sink alot of money into this truck either.

The 22R that is in it needs to be rebuilt anyway, it smokes like a damn freight train. I know the 351C is alot bigger size wise than a 302 or a 351W but stock them have around 250ish hp when the cleveland has 330 stock and more torque. I've just seen it to many times at some of the places me and some of my other buddies ride at where they can wind their yotas and samrurai's out and just not be able to get enough wheel speed to get up some of the slick muddy hills. For instance we had 3 samurai's 2 toyota's and 1 cj5 trying to climb this pretty steep hill, had alot of roots and rocks sticking out of it also not to mention it was slick. All of the samurai's and yota's had to be winched up it. The cj5 with a mild built 304 stock lift with 33" boggers went right up it no problem because he had the power to provide the wheel speed needed. Just seems all the jeeps and v8 powered bronco 2's that I ride with are about to go more places because of the wheel speed. And I can't stand when a Jeep out does me.

crawlin83 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
eh not really.. ive got a 350 in my toyota but the 351c is a pretty damn big engine. might aswell be a big block.  Its doable but i dont think the t18 or the toyota cases would like it a whole lot.
Never had a problem out of that t-18 and it has been running behind that 351C since 1982.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2012, 08:11:29 AM »
The Cleveland isn't exactly a low speed torque engine. It's a heavy sucker too. BUT...........ANYTHING can be made to work if ya got the time and money.

Post plenty of pics if ya do it. I gotta see it.
88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

crawlin83 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »
The Cleveland isn't exactly a low speed torque engine. It's a heavy sucker too. BUT...........ANYTHING can be made to work if ya got the time and money.

Post plenty of pics if ya do it. I gotta see it.
Will do. I'm really leaning towards doing the swap just because so many people are telling me i'm stupid and it can't be done. I just wanna prove them wrong then open up the back barrels of that Cleveland and show them it can be done.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
Do it, I did some crazy engine swaps back in my hot rodding days and it was fun. One was a pumped 327 SBC in a VW van, it was mid-engine. Make sure you beef the frame or you will be chaseing breaks/cracks.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

crawlin83 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2012, 08:02:36 PM »
Do it, I did some crazy engine swaps back in my hot rodding days and it was fun. One was a pumped 327 SBC in a VW van, it was mid-engine. Make sure you beef the frame or you will be chaseing breaks/cracks.

I believe I just might do it. Will post alot of pics once it starts happening.