Author Topic: ♪ I Think I'm Paranoid ♪  (Read 3596 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
♪ I Think I'm Paranoid ♪
« on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:29:20 AM »
If you know the song "I Think I'm Paranoid" by Garbage, that's what I had going through my mind this morning when I woke up.

For some reason I had a dream about someone stealing the radio out of my MR2. It was a strange dream that felt un-ordinarily real. The thing was that I just drove home, parked my car, and then after I went into my house, I forgot to get a book from my trunk and when I went back out, no more then 2 mins later, both doors were open and my radio was gone. It was a weird dream because I havn't even driven my MR2 since last September..

Anyways, it's prompted me to consider some anti-theft action on my, bike.

Consider this story real quick: On Christmas eve, we were down at the shop working as usual. Andy went home on his lunch break and he never came back that day. It turns out that between leaving in the morning to go to work and then going home at lunch time, someone had broke into his house and stole a few items, the only really valuable (non-replaceable) one being his Mountain bike. It was a custom built frame just for him and it is only sold as a frame, and he loaded full XTR components and a really nice front shock. He said he had over $2k in the setup and it was about 4 years old. Futhuremore, there were only a few of these frames made and you can never buy it again..
The thieves went through his back door, which according to Andy was convenient since his fence line is high and covered by multiple trees. They had all morning to get in. Then once inside, Andy has a huge pitbull, but she's a lover not a killer, none the less, they had to use a broom handle and force the dog into the back bedroom and closed the door. She scrapped the whole door up and Andy said that they was some human skin on her claws, so he knew that she had been fighting :boxing:

Anyways, I think I came to realize how simple it would be for someone to rip my stuff off. I've already backed up all of my computer files and have them stored in a safe at a different location, so if someone steals my computer I can always replace that. So I was looking around and the only other thing that I really care about would be my Bike.

It might sound dumb to some, but I bought my bike for $1,300 back in '97 when I was still a sophomore in hs. Since then I've put about 6 more bills into it and its a pretty nice ride now, plus it's also a discontinued model and I will never sell it either. And where is it? Oh just sitting next to my study desk. Anyone could just ride it out of the house...

Main Point: ..So after getting permission from my ol' man, I am going to bore a hole into the ground in my closet and install an eye-let style bolt with a long threaded shank, and then use a machine grade crimped self-locking bolt from below the floor level. Then I can attach a huge chain to the eyelet and then a strong steel U-style bike lock to the chain & bike.

The thing is that my basement is only a craw-type with about 2 feet of clearance. Plus if I can find a bolt that is pretty long, then it would take two people to remove it and it would take a long time to get the locking nut off all those threads.

The only other option would be for me to hang my bike up in the garage and wrap a chain around one of the rafters, but I ride my bike nearly every day and it would be a pain-in-the-ass to have to continually lock it up in the garage, especially since we have a bunch of junk in the way and no walking space.

Main Question: So whatt'a ya think? Has anyone ever done something like this? I am going to go down to the bolt store on Monday or Tuesday and try to find a huge threaded eyelet shank-type bolt..

Something like this but larger:

I could also use something like this:

I'm thinking about drilling the hole right to the inside of my closet door, so I can still vacuum and arrange furniture in my room without having to worry about the eyelet being in the way.

So basically if anyone knows of a good place to buy an eyelet threaded shank, something huge like 1" then :help:

Also I was talking to my dad about what thieves would carry on them. Obviously if they really want something and have the resources then could get it, so I am wondering what do they bring? Im sure they could carry a bolt-cutter with them, but what would be even better would be a small makitta grinder and just grind my eyelet. Do any of them carry torches with them? Sheesh  :nerv: What a guys gotta do to protect his junk :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2005, 10:36:39 AM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ I Think I'm Paranoid ♪
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:35:33 AM »
dunno what is around you, but the Ace Hardware store I worked at had exactly what you are looking for.  We had a threaded eyelet post that was a good 3 or 4 feet long.  We also had a lot  of lengths (up to 6 feet) of just threaded stock.  I would check out your local mom and pop store, look in the hardware area.  The brand name of all that stuff was National, ask if they have that stuff. Ace stores can order it too, even if they dont carry it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:38:10 AM »
Thanks blackdog :bowdown:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2005, 02:24:40 PM »
No problem, hpoe you find what ya need  :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2005, 03:00:50 PM »
must be the drugs :eyecrazy:

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2005, 03:13:57 PM »
 Mike, If you drill two hole you could use lead ancors and eye bolts. then put cable lock through both eye bolts so they can't be backed out Make sure you weld the eye bolts closed. Also if you heat them up till they glow and drop them in a 5 gallon bucket of old diesel oil they will be too hard to cut with a hack saw. Be careful doing this as not to start a fire.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2005, 03:48:41 PM »
Be paranoid...Bikes get stolen everyday!
That's how I roll

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2005, 06:48:38 PM »
Go check out National Hardware in Pinedale. I don't think I have ever left there not having what I went in for, or at least something that would be as good if not better.
"between projects"

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:44:13 PM »
Sounds like a good Idea. My really sweet robinson race BMX bike got stolen off my front porch. I live in a pretty reliable neighborhood where I have left it out probably for 3 years before that (riding it day in and day out) but still. I don't really talk to my neighbors but I know they look over my house, even the thugs down the street (Yes, I said thugs). Thing is that it pissed me off pretty good, it was a sweet frame that they don't make anymore. I fully understand why you want to do this. Its lame to think what we have to do to our personal items and vehicles so no one will jack them and if they do, they will have a hard time to do this.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2005, 11:09:19 PM »
Just set it up as a fixed gear.  They won't ride it very far- Trust Me  :eyebrow:
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2005, 05:03:17 AM »
Go check out National Hardware in Pinedale. I don't think I have ever left there not having what I went in for, or at least something that would be as good if not better.

That is the stuff that I am talking about.  a lot of Ace hardware stores carry that brand, and they can order stuff out of a catalog for you if they dont have it

-Ronald Reagan

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:47:10 AM »
Wow, must be nice living down there in Fresno Mike. I never woulda thought about chaining my bike to my bedroom floor. Better be careful, they might steal the whole room.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2005, 07:48:29 AM »
Hey, didn't Marlin catch a guy in a car at the shop one night, and keep him there til the cops arrived?

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2005, 02:04:01 AM »
Gee bigmike,,what up with you being nice??So you just want to lock up your bike?I thought it would be more like put it in a safe place with a shotgun and a string.Take the bike,,get your ass blown off..Thats sounds much more effective,,just a little more messy..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2005, 04:05:38 AM »
All I need is a trip wire  :flamer:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2005, 04:53:20 AM »
Oh looky that nice bike,,CLICK   AHH :pokinit:!!  BOOM  yea,,thats would suck :crazy:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

mplatzer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 126
  • Member since Jan '05
  • if you aint done jack you dont know :pokinit:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:53:01 PM »
what is becoming of this world when its not good enough to lock your door, but you have to drill a hole in your floor in your bedroom so no one will steel your bike..... man gota just move to antartica to feel safe anymore.  my opinion i think your a little paronoid.  if you are so worried about people steeling your stuff it can consume your life, take the feasable percautions to protect your stuff and hope nothing happens, but to start drilling bolts in your floor is going a little far.. just my two cents
HAMMERS THE BEST TRAILS IN THE WORLD

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2005, 02:57:05 PM »
I know it is :bull crap:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:00:25 PM »
Thankyou for the comments.. Actually I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I was paranoid, and Ive decided to just lock the bike up in a normal fashion.. Anyways I could go on and on about stuff getting stolen, but its pointless so I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, cya
BigMike