Author Topic: ’84 Std Cab Toyota, Diamond Axled, Exo’ed, Built Street Legal Rig  (Read 3119 times)

FlexToyota

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 97
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
1984 Toyota Pickup SR5 Rock Rig
Clean title, smogged this past summer, current registration thru Feb 2012

ENGINE
- 22R, 120K showing on the odometer.
- Downey Header, not smog legal at this time – more on this later
- K&N Filter
- 2.25” custom exhaust into a magnaflow muffler, tucked up out of the way
- Newer plugs, wires, cap & rotor. Oil changed every 3K of 6 months

Before I bought the rig, the original long block was replaced with an 80K ’93 long block, and the ’84 accessories and carb were put back on. I’ve since put 10K on the truck, so there’s about 90K on the factory longblock.

DRIVETRAIN
- Original G52 trans, newer clutch master cylinder.
- Marlin dual ultimate cases, purchased complete from Marlin 3-4 years ago. Maybe 4K miles on the cases. All 21 spline, 4.7’s in the rear case. Triple-drilled flanges.
- Sky’s adjustable dual case x-member. 1 stock case mount, 1 4xInnovations hard mount.
- Rear driveshaft is ¼” wall tube, non-CV. Balanced up to 60 mph, after that it’s a little wobbly.
- Front shaft is ¼” square receiver tubing with CV. Lots of slip, and I’ve welded and ground the stock so it fits nice and has less slop than a normal square shaft. 

FRONT AXLE
- Diamond housing, +6” from stock so 61.5” wms.
- 30 spline chromo longs, arp studs, 5th knuckle stud welded on, hi-steer, tabbed for hydro assist on the housing but not the steering link,
- 5.29 4 cyl 3rd, aussie locker
- Aisan hubs with longfield guts.
- Steering box has been drilled out at the restrictor for more flow, you usually do this with hydro assist but I did it to help turn 37’s in rocks.

REAR AXLE
- IFS housing, pumpkin and bottom area heavily armored with plate. Stock shafts
- 5.29 V6 3rd, full spool. Has 1.5” spacers to make it match the front in width.

TIRES & WHEELS
- 37” MTR’s, 80% front, 60% rear on black 15x8 steelies, about 3.5” backspace. Typical rock rash on tires and wheels.
- Spare 37” MTR on a 15x8 Aluminum rim. Tire is 50% & grooved heavily, holds air.

SUSPENSION
- Toy rears up front, 6 leafs, 3” of lift or so, axle pushed forward about 2”.
- Rear suspension is 3” Marlin springs, about 1 year old.

- Progressive poly bumpstops
- FOA 2.0x14” remote reservoir shocks all around valved for this truck, these are less than a year old. 6” of shaft at ride height and the bumps hit at about 3-4” so the shocks cannot bottom out.

OTHER STUFF

- Body is mostly gone except for the cab and front clip.
- Fully built exo cage /front bumper/ bed area. All 1 ¾” x 1/8” wall HREW, except for some 1.5” x 1/8” non-structural items in the bed area. Probably the nicest best exo I’ve ever seen.
- Ties in to the frame in multiple places, triangulated throughout, based on 2x3x1/4” tube steel sliders with 2x2x1/4” stickers to fishplates on the frame. Rocker area cut & removed to let the sliders be mounted as high up on the frame as possible.
- Door bars fully welded in. I built this cage with Aaron Beckstead (DangerRanger on Pirate 4x4), he’s done a dozen cages for his own and other’s rigs and they consistently perform well under “stress” 
- Winch is a newer Smittybilt 8K, mount tied into cage and front crossmember. Its sucked way back for maximum approach angle.
- Radiator has been spaced back 1” towards the motor, still plenty of clearance to the fan. - Radiator armored with expanded metal in front of it so if anything ever broke during a pull so it wouldn’t be damaged.
- Front fenders fit over the cage. Rear fenders are removable. 
- Seats & sliders are out of a ’04 Civic. New 4 point harness on both front seats. SR5 cluster, with factory tach. Old CD player is there, but no speakers in truck.
- Vision X LED rock light kit. Huge bling at the campfire or on night runs.

As part of the sale, I will include everything I have purchased for a complete EFI swap. 22RE intake, manifolds, sensors, dizzy, fuel lines, gas tank, computer, and almost a whole wiring harness from an EFI truck. It’s all there and I started laying it out in my garage, just not installed.

BAD: Only issue is that right now it will not smog as it sits. I smogged it this summer with the stock exhaust manifold on, then took it off to replace it with the Downey header. EGR ports on the header are welded off, and I pulled the smog pump and catalytic converter off at the same time. I still have all these things and they could be reinstalled easily to smog the rig again. I have no doubt that it will smog anywhere with no issue. But I will not go through the exercise of doing this unless I have someone interested or ready to buy.

Other than this, the rig is fully street legal, registered, and insured in CA. I drive it around town on weekends and up to Shaver Lake trails an hour and a half away, but it’s not exactly a daily driver. With the FOA’s and bumps the suspension flat out works in the dirt for a full body leaf spring rig. The extra axle width of the diamond makes it very stable, yet still very maneuverable in the tight stuff. This rig is at home and proven at the Hammers, Rubicon, TDS, Big Bear, Shaver Lake trails, etc. It’s been a chase rig for race teams at KOH and is very reliable.

I need to start somewhere so $8K or best offer. I don’t need to sell it, but I am interested in possibly moving on to something with 4 seats.  I’ll show it for serious buyers, PM or e-mail me at TriumphGL@juno.com. Located in Clovis, CA. You could drive it home if you’re local, or I can arrange delivery for a fee as I still have a trailer.

'84 Fugly Yota P/U
geared, locked, cases, cage, 37's, etc.

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
Lots of  :bling: into that sucker. should sell quick

FlexToyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 97
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving bump!

I'd be thankful for an offer, so make me one!
'84 Fugly Yota P/U
geared, locked, cases, cage, 37's, etc.

Jaysen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 773
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
I would be thankful if I could own a truck like your!!
95 22RE. Toyota Ext.Cab SAS. Dual Case.
1988 Honda Civic 4dr lx,
2007 Honda Ruckus scooter