Author Topic: Looking at buying a 92 Ext Cab Pickup Crawler  (Read 3172 times)

4Runnnner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
Looking at buying a 92 Ext Cab Pickup Crawler
« on: Nov 06, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »
heres the link   http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2672248672.html

Well the problem is that its not street legal im trying to get a crawler that I can drive around town, what would I need to make it street legal, and can you drive at highway speed with dual cases.

Thanks

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking at buying a 92 Ext Cab Pickup Crawler
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
just looking at it, blinkers, taillights, mudflaps, registration, smog etc. it can be driven on the road, but like any toyota, you better be used to being passed instead of passing
:usa:
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

4Runnnner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
so having dual cases shouldn't be a problem with daily driving? what would be the etc parts

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
nope. i know quite a few people that dd with duals. etc would be what i cant see just looking at it. give him a call and ask him what it needs to be street legal
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

4Runnnner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
I just found out its Salvaged, and im trying to DD, is it possible to register and insure in california

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 93
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
Possible, but make sure he has it registered planned non-op. otherwise, unlike some states, the buyer is responsible for the fees and late charges. Which are incredibly ridiculous. If you want to be sure, just go to any highway patrol office and ask them for a list of things a car must have to be street legal. they will give you the law in writing.

And if you so desire, you can take the truck there and they will do a walk around.

Otherwise the answer to your question is YES...Will it be a pain, PROBABLY. Worth it, MAYBE depending on the cost. Put in the research to be sure for yourself. It has to pass inspection and it has to pass smog. All the other stuff you can choose to take your chances, but people are getting hit more frequently for small violations.

Here is the thing, rock crawling capability is inversely proportional to streetablity. The more you build that truck to crawl, the less "friendly" it is on the road. If you are new to the game then my suggestion is buy a different truck. Buy a pickup/tacoma/4runner that is more stock. It will be cheaper. Wheel it mostly stock for a while and DD. As the years go by build it to your liking. Just like anything else, throwing more money and parts at a project may not get it up the hill better and it especially wont make you a better driver. If you are in CA 31's-33's on open axles can get you up 90%+ of trails just fine. those 39's are for the top .5% of trails. In fact, I've seen a jeep up sledge hammer, claw hammer and the wrecking ball on 33's..sure he had a winch for a few sections, but he did good with minimal damage...This particular person is well known and an excellent driver. Choosing lines and learning techniques is "free" and worth much more than just building something or buying something with the best parts and expecting it to get itself to the top.

Just my 2 cents...I would suggest something post 22r's like any tacoma. I think you may be happier with the motor options of late 90's+

Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 10:50:52 AM by Seeds »
Romans 12:2

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
What Seeds said X2......I don't live in Cali so  it's easier to make one street legal but a truck lifted like that don't drive the same.  As far as the dual cases go.... In high gear 2WD it is the same as stock.
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

4Runnnner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
Thanks the input, do you guys know if ARB lockers are usable for driving onroad in snow, im worried they may act somewhat like a detroit, and just to put it out there about how much would it be to convert 2002 2wd 4Runner to 4wd with a solid front axle

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »
depends.  you need to buy the axle and the kit.
Kits can be had for around 1200-1500...I suggest buying a kit unless you are good at fabbing and welding.
Axles range depending on what you want..stock toys 85 and before can be found for 300-500
If you cant weld or dont have a welder, add a welder or the labor to your list. probably around 500-1000 for either option.

Materials for front only 1500 roughly

However there are many hidden costs for example...Your front drive shaft will not work, you will need to buy another. after installing a long spline shaft you will notice your driveshaft angle will be somewhat "steep". Nothing really to do about that but get dual cases :) tires and rims, the back will need to be lifted to match the front. Now you need to mod your rear driveshaft, and your emergency brake cable.

You will be into it about 3k or more when it is all said and done to do it right. (not including tires) There are ways to do it cheaper, but it mostly consists of building many of the components yourself and using "junk yard" parts. You will be doing all your own measurements and fabbing (which means you are buying your own steel and tools to work it with) if you go that route. There is no real way to get out cheap.

If you want my opinion, buy a 4x4 extra cab tacoma or a 4runner (depends on your preference) with a TRD package and e-locker either the 3.4L 6cyl or the 2.7L 4cyl. Just be patient, they come up every so often on craigs or autotrader. Learn to drive it offroad, you will be surprised at what you can do stock with it and what you learn. Put some good armor on it to protect the sheet metal. technique is the name of the game, not parts. There is so much to learn from choosing lines to clutch control to gear choices and how suspensions react. That is the better way to go. I've seen people do it both ways and all the latter gets you into is the attitude that "if I spend more money I would've been able to make it to the top". the more you are around the sport you will see both types, those who just throw money at it and those who learn to drive it.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
Thanks the input, do you guys know if ARB lockers are usable for driving onroad in snow, im worried they may act somewhat like a detroit, and just to put it out there about how much would it be to convert 2002 2wd 4Runner to 4wd with a solid front axle

You wouldn't be using the ARB's on the highway in the snow, you would have open diffs as long as you didn't engage them.

Trying to convert your '02 2wd Runner to a competant trail rig is going to likely cost you more than buying a built one for around $5-6k(about the current going rate for built rigs).

If you are new to wheeling as you sound, you shouldn't be looking at somethimng so extreme for a beginner.  That rig is well beyond a newbies driving skills, and trying to learn with it you would always be behind the eight ball.

If you are limited to having one rig and need a 4 door, I would sell the '02 and buy a 3rd gen Runner.  It is still a capable rig to learn with, comfy enough to be a daily driver, and still be able to have a back seat.  From there you could modify it while you learn how to wheel, and then when your ready, move up to something built running on 35's.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

4Runnnner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
I meant with the ARBs open do they act like a detroit, or do they act like a regular dif

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Im not trying to be rude or anything, but with all the questions you re asking, Idont think you should buy a truck built like that. You will probably either roll it, or not use it anywhere near its capabilities. Im not gonna tell ya what to do with your money, im just saying if I was you, id get a stocker, and build it myself, and learn along with it. Unless you just in the sport for a seasopn, and plan on selling the rig come spring?
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

4Runnnner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Ive wheeled with my buddies here and there but never really got that into it, I just want to make sure I know some specifics

Seeds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »
Im not trying to be rude or anything, but with all the questions you re asking, Idont think you should buy a truck built like that. You will probably either roll it, or not use it anywhere near its capabilities. Im not gonna tell ya what to do with your money, im just saying if I was you, id get a stocker, and build it myself, and learn along with it. Unless you just in the sport for a seasopn, and plan on selling the rig come spring?
x2

really that is the best thing. you will have the most fun too!. It is good advice. I think you will enjoy the truck and the sport a lot more really.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2011, 01:22:32 AM »
x3
and the search function can answer all your questions along the way
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:51:46 AM »
I meant with the ARBs open do they act like a detroit, or do they act like a regular dif
Regular diff, locked they are a spool, unlocked open diff.

That rig is not a good choice for a DD and it will take a bunch of work to get it street legal. The on thing I see right away is I doubt the fuel cell is CARB approved so you would fail the SMOG on visual.

It also looks like it is built mostly with Trail Gear parts and their 4-link is not the best design in the world, the numbers are not right on the link specs.

While it looks like it would be a great trail rig, it would suck on the street.

Remember to be a good wheeler it is not the rig, but the driver behind the wheel. Wheeling is 80% driver, 20% rig.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity