Author Topic: new top end . . .engine won't run HELP!!  (Read 1834 times)

85yotanh

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
new top end . . .engine won't run HELP!!
« on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
Hey guys,

I just had my head professionally cleaned, my valves cut and re-seated. I also put on a new timing chain water pump and oil pump from lc. I got my fuel injectors professionally cleaned. put in new coils plugs wires rotor and cap and for what its worth a new oil pan. Basically I followed any and all instructions and diagrams and anything I could find I tore it all apart and put it all back together. I lined up my timing chain had my motor at tdc and slid my distributor back in with the rotor facing cyinder 1. Now that everything is back together I have tried for the past two nights to get the truck to run and I have had absolutely no luck. This was my first time cracking into a 22re and im stumped the motor turns freely the plugs are sparking, air is getting sucked into the cylinders but there is no combustion. I don't get it the starter just turns it over and over and over and it never even stumbles alive for even a second. I don't know what i am missing but it i feel like i have gone through it pretty well. Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated I am a desperate man at this point. I just want my truck back for some wheeling before winter comes again in nh!

I have an 85 efi 22re

thanks in andvance
ben

Burl

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Wannabe Smokejumper
    • View Profile
Re: new top end . . .engine won't run HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
Are you getting fuel?  Crack the fuel line banjo fitting and turn the key.  Eliminate that that possibility. 

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
It does sound like a fuel issue but since you installed the head it could be a wiring issue.  I agree you should ck to see if your getting fuel pressure. 
Also loosen the distributor and turn it all the way advanced,  which is turning it all the way clockwise. 
You can also spray a little carb cleaner into intake to see if it tries to fire.  Just make sure its flammable carb cleaner.  If it doesnt fire then I would look into spark.

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Do you get any kind of back fire? intake or exhaust?
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
definately getting fuel . . .

and every few hours we would get a backfire through the intake but it didn't really seem to have a pattern . . .

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
and what would be wired wrong to make it just turn over but not run? because I myself was questioning that . .  .

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »
Do you have the plug hooked up to the MAF and the tube from the MAF to the TB hooked up?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
 yes I have my intake.assembly all hooked up with all the sensors involved as well

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
What is the timing when you are trying to start it?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2011, 05:36:27 PM »
As in the relationship between the notch on the crank pully and the timing numbers at tdc .. . . . . . If so the haynes manual said too line it up to the 0 mark

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
is the,,, i believe its called the HAC relay pluged in i had the same kinda problem with mine and that wasnt pluged in its the fin lookig one
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

85yotanh [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »
I didn't un plug it but ill definately check it out

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2011, 11:54:54 PM »
As in the relationship between the notch on the crank pully and the timing numbers at tdc .. . . . . . If so the haynes manual said too line it up to the 0 mark
No not the pre-assembly postion.  What I was inquiring about is where is the timing mark on crankshaft pulley in relation to the numbered timing bar(has zero on it)when the light from the timing light/gun is flashing.The procedure you follwed when reinstalling the head/dist., gets you close to the correct timing, so you only have to move the dist. back and forth to adjust it.  You then use a timing light to set the correct timing. 

I know the Haynes manual is sold as an engine repair manual, but is basically cliff notes, the '93 Toyota FSM has all the information, and step by step procedures w/pictures, as well as a trouble shooting section.  Here is also a link to an '85 FSM, but unlike the '93 it is a downloadable file only.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

floorrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 333
  • Male Posts: 304
  • Member since Jun '09
  • Common sense is not that common...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
sounds like ur dist. is off 180º
Hey guys,

I just had my head professionally cleaned, my valves cut and re-seated. I also put on a new timing chain water pump and oil pump from lc. I got my fuel injectors professionally cleaned. put in new coils plugs wires rotor and cap and for what its worth a new oil pan. Basically I followed any and all instructions and diagrams and anything I could find I tore it all apart and put it all back together. I lined up my timing chain had my motor at tdc and slid my distributor back in with the rotor facing cyinder 1. Now that everything is back together I have tried for the past two nights to get the truck to run and I have had absolutely no luck. This was my first time cracking into a 22re and im stumped the motor turns freely the plugs are sparking, air is getting sucked into the cylinders but there is no combustion. I don't get it the starter just turns it over and over and over and it never even stumbles alive for even a second. I don't know what i am missing but it i feel like i have gone through it pretty well. Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated I am a desperate man at this point. I just want my truck back for some wheeling before winter comes again in nh!

I have an 85 efi 22re

thanks in andvance
ben
87 4runner, 97 3RZ, dual ultimates, 5.29's air over elocker & arb, true longs R.I.P., York belt driven onboard air and a/c.

NCK4L

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 522
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
when you put your distrubutor in  the timing mark should be at 5 degrees before tdc not at 0. it should also be on the compression stroke of # 1 cylinder.

b_sherwood3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2011, 02:12:58 AM »
I agree with NCK4L,  just line up your timing to 5degree TDC then unscrew your distributor cap, look to see if your rotor is on 1 or 4 cylinder, then unbolt it and turn it 180degrees, so it was on 1 then turn it so the rotor is on 4.  Then bolt it back up, tighten screws and it should start.  If not then check to make sure everything is plugged in. 

yota13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 26
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »
did you adjust your valves....if not do that
Toyota a reliable friend that never let's you down and loves to keep on truckin

Michael Wollinsky

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 137
  • Member since Jul '11
  • rocks arent as hard to clean as mud
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »
i did the same thing i thought i had it lined up but i was wrong i had the dist. off one tooth played with it alil and got it where it would idle at 950 rpm
Hand built and driving daily