Author Topic: Money Saving DMV Tips  (Read 6938 times)

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Money Saving DMV Tips
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
says me compared to those I know personaly, not to be confused with the masses that are around doing nothing and going nowhere, but lets not turn this into a boxers vs briefs thing here.
It was a joke lets not get this all twisted up :shakehead:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Gamera

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 31, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »
My aunt saved $220 on the registration on the f350 by changing lic plates to handicap plates. Turns out it voids out all the weight fees having handicap plates. Sad part we could have dome it 13 years back :-(

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2011, 03:47:58 AM »
The reason the weight fees are removed is the vehicle is not used for commercial purposes since it is only used to transport a disabled person.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 01, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »
The reason the weight fees are removed is the vehicle is not used for commercial purposes since it is only used to transport a disabled person.
Well..... yes and no. Neither of my pickups are used commercially, yet I still pay weight fees. And a person with disabled plates can still haul cargo in the bed of the truck, so......  :dunno:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

_HOIST_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 300
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 01, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
Move to Arizona! 5 years on my yukon for 88 bucks. I could not believe it myself.  :clap:

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #35 on: Aug 01, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
Well aside from the questions, Im glad I can get my weight fees to 0 when I have no job or a way to get one it helps me get by, thanks for the advice

MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #36 on: Aug 01, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
Well..... yes and no. Neither of my pickups are used commercially, yet I still pay weight fees. And a person with disabled plates can still haul cargo in the bed of the truck, so......  :dunno:

This is true but if you get caught using it for commercial purposes even with the exemptions either by having a topper on it or handicap you will be fined and it is a big deal.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 01, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
Reading this thread only confirms my feelings about California...
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 01, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
This is true but if you get caught using it for commercial purposes even with the exemptions either by having a topper on it or handicap you will be fined and it is a big deal.
How do you define "commercial purposes"? I have heard it has nothing to do with "commerce", as in using your truck in the course of business.... that you would not be allowed to carry any cargo in the bed, period. Which if true, makes no sense -- you'd be unable to take a trash can to the dump or haul a few boards home from the lumberyard, but if you had a Suburban (without commercial plates), you could stuff it to the gunwales.  :dunno:

Reading this thread only confirms my feelings about California...
And rightfully so, sir!!  :yesnod:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 20, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
This sorta fits here...  :disturbed:  I found this info regarding engine swaps and aftermarket parts for anyone who wants to read it.  :thumbs:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:10:58 PM »
Just further proof that CARB is a joke and has grown too big and powerful for it's own good  :shake:

Transmission or Transaxle
Transmissions and transaxles changes alone are not legal. Transmissions and transaxles can only be changed along with their matching engine. The total engine transmission package must conform to the engine change requirements above.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 20, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
Just further proof that CARB is a joke and has grown too big and powerful for it's own good  :shake:

Transmission or Transaxle
Transmissions and transaxles changes alone are not legal. Transmissions and transaxles can only be changed along with their matching engine. The total engine transmission package must conform to the engine change requirements above.
I agree! That part was perfectly STUPID!  :hammer:  But I wasn't concerned with that part at all...I was just looking for info for engine swap legal criteria and this is what I found and just thought I should share.  :beerchug:

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 20, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
Just throw a shell on it to register it, then take it off.  Done.  I have a sub I picked up and it was gifted from a friend, and I only got charged a flat fee.  It was like $80.  California sucks when it comes to smog and taxes.  If it was up to me, F@*! this state.  I'd move to any state just for no smog.  Not to mention this state taxes if you breath more than a number of times a day. :yesnod:

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 20, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
If you have a vehicle with back fees you can tell dmv that it was out of state from this date to this date and get back fee's waved, all dmv has to do is click a button. California is garbage for this kind of stuff. Love the state, hate the laws.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sep 20, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
Just throw a shell on it to register it, then take it off.  Done.  I have a sub I picked up and it was gifted from a friend, and I only got charged a flat fee.  It was like $80.  California sucks when it comes to smog and taxes.  If it was up to me, F@*! this state.  I'd move to any state just for no smog.  Not to mention this state taxes if you breath more than a number of times a day. :yesnod:
It's not that easy...With a shell it also has to have seats and seatbelts and prove to be a passenger vehicle only.  That's why there's a difference with your Suburban plus the plates are different and if you get caught with non-commercial plates in an open bed pick up... you are  :bumpinbutts::thumbdown: Nice try though.  :biggthumpup:

If you have a vehicle with back fees you can tell dmv that it was out of state from this date to this date and get back fee's waved, all dmv has to do is click a button. California is garbage for this kind of stuff. Love the state, hate the laws.
Again, not that easy...you will have to surrender the plates from the state which you claim it was registered before you can register it in Ca. if you dont have such plates, all fees will apply. It has to be out of their system before no fees will apply... it's either 7 or 10 years of not being registered in Ca.  :ack:

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 21, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »
I agree with gtoyonrocks that I love the state itself, but what make me hate it is the laws int he state.  I guess I just hate the laws and taxes.  Also, fordh8r...I did that with my Dodge I had.  I threw in a back seat from a suburban and had a shell on it, belts and stuff were already with the seat, I bolted it down, then afterwards I took it out.  You keep the same plates, they didn't make me change my plates. :thumbs:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 21, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
I agree with gtoyonrocks that I love the state itself, but what make me hate it is the laws int he state.  I guess I just hate the laws and taxes. 
Yeah, who doesn't?  :hammerhead:

I threw in a back seat from a suburban and had a shell on it, belts and stuff were already with the seat, I bolted it down, then afterwards I took it out.  You keep the same plates, they didn't make me change my plates. :thumbs:
That being the difference than just having a shell.  8)  I guess they must have just recommissioned the plates as non-commercial for the same number. I was always told they would actually change the plate for such a change. But I guess it makes some sense since I have personalized plates on my full size Chevy and it's commissioned as a Commercial plate....go figure.  :cheese:

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 22, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »
since we are on the subject of DMV and I did save money, can anyone explain what happened?

so heres what happened, I bought a truck back in oct 2010 but i didnt reg it or change the title to my name until like a month ago.

so I go to the smog shop in angels camp and they tell me that i cant smog it without getting the title in my name first because of where the truck came from. i guess they have two types of smog tests.

so i go to the dmv in san andreas and i pay the reg fees and they give me my tags and reg and im on my way.

so i never smogged it.

how did this happen did someone at the dmv goof or what?

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 22, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
DMV can wipe fees away with the click of a button. I have done it many, many, many times. You can register a vehicle in another state, and re register in california, with zero fees, and they dont care about the other state  plates. I just did it, and am smogging a washington truck today in california. It was even 5 yrs out of reg in washington, and still 0 california fees besides current year and a weigh in. I only have to pass the emissions the truck was designed to pass either, not calis.

If you want to wipe back fees, dress nice, clean clothes, clean shaven. Have a good story about how either vehicle came from family, or how you can prove its sat idle and not on state roads for the entire duration. Have cash ready for the current years fees.

Also, if you have back fees on a rig, go in, and try to non op it. In my town, everytime I have non opped something, they wiped any back fees, I just told them I bought it for project. Once its non opped, its easy to take it, off, but either go to a dif dmv or wait a week or two.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sep 22, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »
95toy, many years ago my friend got a wet and reckless.  He needed to drive to go to school and work and was supposed to go dmv for a limited license (whatever it's called), but somebody messed up and just issued him a new license  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Gamera

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »
As of Jan here fed is adding $25 bucks to car reg here =[