Author Topic: Calling all 4runner Owners!!!!!! Important Question!!!!!!  (Read 3749 times)

Cobbtunedsti

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
I've owned every gen Toyota pickup and now want to buy a 4runner. People keep telling my they're top heavy and also like to pop wheely's when going up steep trails???? Is this true??? I'm talking ones using TG, All Pro Lifts?? You'd think moving the axle forward would help!!! Any feedback is welcome.. Thanks!!

RockRescue

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
no  they do not pop wheelies   top heavy ?  the top is not that heavy   i dont think they even weight 200 lbs

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
the interiors rattle like all hell, and they are slightly top heavy. The big thing is all the damn widnows. The damn things have 13 if u got a sunroof
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Zs Confederate Toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
They arent that heavy and I never had ours pop a wheelie while on the trail.
ZACH
87 Rock Rat X
80 SR5 The Shady Lady
Trail Junky

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I dont know of anuthing that can "pop a wheelie" with a 22re or 3.slow :rofl:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

Cobbtunedsti [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
Lol.. Good, that's what I needed to hear!! I plan on doing an exo cage so windows are not an issue.. I would just hate to invest in one and the first time I wheel it I hate it:(

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
There are plenty of things that can be doen to lighten them up too. For reference, they are a whole lot less top heavy than an FJ Cruiser or FJ80.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

raywynn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
My '95 never seems top heavy in off camber situations, I also like the weight in back because it help with traction.
'79 Short Bed 20r, L43, 35's
'95 4runner limited all stock

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
just make sure you have alot of flex and it should be fine
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I think the top heavy thing is all relative. If you are used to driving pick ups, they will seem top heavy, especially the 2nd and 3rd generations. However having owned and wheeled both a 1st and 2nd gen 4runner (still own and built the 1st gen) as well as spending serious time behind the wheel of my parent's 3rd gen when I was younger, in my opinion, the extra weight up top is not really that important. My third gen extra cab seems "light" to me because I am so used to having more weight in the back.

That said, they do have a lot of windows and the interiors are prone to rattling over the years. They will not do wheelies going uphill even lifted, that is just silly. If you get the 1st gen you can take the top off in the summer if the extra 200 pounds is really that big of an issue for you.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
I plan on doing an exo cage so windows are not an issue.. I would just hate to invest in one and the first time I wheel it I hate it:(

An exo may, in fact, make it feel top heavy fwiw. :talkingn:
"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Never noticed much of a difference between my trucks or my 4Runners, as to popping a wheelie  :rofl:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
These shots of a buddies 3rd gen should help to with your concerns about them being top heavy.

How the rig is set up and the skills/attitude of the driver will have more to do with the stability of the rig on the trail, then the added weight of a top and glass.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Nice runner
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
I love runners..... cant wait to get mine finished :yesnod:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

4-lo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -80
  • Male Posts: 752
  • Member since Dec '05
  • build tonite crawl tomorrow
    • View Profile
I just love the runner.  It gives you better traction on and off trail. If the willie is still in your mind then go with one with front end heavy put on some wiegh in the front.

Back to the question tg kit and all pro kit.

I'm running all pro 5 front and marlin betts 5 in rear works fine they flex pretty well on my 2nd gen 3.0.
My buddy is running tg 5in kit on his 3rd gen works all rite I don't like the flex. Maybe that their front spring is a bit shroter then all pro and marlin.

Here's a link you can see both the runners

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=81337.msg942494#msg942494
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 02:36:01 PM by 4xsports »

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
If you're planning to do an exo cage you don't need to be concerned with the extra weight of the 4Runner compared to the trucks.

I previously owned an 85 truck and now an 89 SAS 4Runner.  If setup identically, the trucks will climb better especially if the wheel base is longer (mine was an extended cab), but the biggest downside is the rear overhang compared to a bobbed truck.  I need the extra seating in the 4Runner so it's a great trade off for me, but for wheeling alone I'd always choose a truck.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

marktrd4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
An exo cage can get you caught up on a rock or a tree. Also they don't completely prevent damage to the body. They are fairly heavy. For all practical purpose and strong reinforced interior cage will give you great rollover protection for the family and they mount more securely than an exo. Look into 4innovations.com they have some of the best cages for 4runners. I believe that if your going to exo to avoid damage you might as well take the body off and put a ftoy chassis on if your worried about body damage. Its a part of wheeling.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I've seen exo's save the sides of vehicles all the time, they do prevent damage for their intended purpose. In a real rollover they do provide the same protection that an interior cage will plus they minimize the crush damage to the cab and most interior cages also carry a lot of weight too. The only real issue I've seen in exo vs. interior is when the body shifts naturally in a rollover banging into the exo.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

mendo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Had a wheeled both a 85 pickup with a exo and 87 runner with a exo and no they are not top heavy and defiantly dont pop wheelies. Thats why I switched from a Wrangler. Rolling over backwards is my worst fear.