Author Topic: new to rc crawlers, need help or tips  (Read 3088 times)

brookspage

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Feb '09
  • 85 runner
    • View Profile
new to rc crawlers, need help or tips
« on: Jun 08, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »
 i just picked up a tmaxx for almost free and wanted to know if i can swap it out to an electric crawler or just trade it for one.  its a 100% stock out of the box. I know nothing about these and want to know the best route.  any tips or help would be appreciated. thanks everybody.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: new to rc crawlers, need help or tips
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »
yeah you can swap it over but its a pain in the ass, I would just sell it. How old is it? they have been making them for a long time now and have several different styles.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

brookspage [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
  • 85 runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
at the most like 3 or 4 years old.  i got it from my brother who wasnt really intrested in it so it really has only been played with about half a dozen times.  he bought a bottle of fuel in the gallon jug and it sits here with 3/4 full still.  glow plugs need to be replaced and it needs all the double a batteries put in truck and remote.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
If you want to have a capable crawler, I'd suggest selling it and using whatever you get to fund an Axial. They have some killer products out now like the SCX10 Honcho and the Wraith tube buggy. In the end you will spend just as much trying to convert your Tmaxx into a decent wheeler.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

brookspage [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '09
  • 85 runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
thats kinda what i was thinking,  how much genarally do those axials cost  suggest a new one or used one??? if any one is selling one or wanting to trade one for something let me know.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
thats kinda what i was thinking,  how much genarally do those axials cost  suggest a new one or used one??? if any one is selling one or wanting to trade one for something let me know.

There are a lot of different kits out. I would recommend checking out the several available kits on a site like www.rpphobby.com (I have had great luck with them) and see what looks best to you.

The classifieds on www.rccrawler.com are full of built rigs selling for around the same price as a stock new, might be worth signing up and watching the classifieds there for a while. You could also put your Tmaxx up for sale there while you are at it.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

crawlerbubba

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 676
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2011, 06:02:19 AM »
u sell it yet? buy. a writh.they rule.right outta the box they kick ass.i got a new novak crawler speed control and 45 turn motor, made new highsteer arms,and aluminum tierod/draglink.aluminum shocks.and alum wheels and boggers.
GOT ROCKS?

howyadoin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
Regarding the title of this thread, my tip would be to run away! :greengrin:  It is just as bad of an addiction as wheeling and the money is never ending if you really get into it.  I have a Bully MOA, a built 1.9, and an AX10 that has absolutely zero AX10 left...no idea how much I have in all of them, but I know it's several thousand dollars at this point. :yikes:
"Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers"