Author Topic: Under Bed Storage box  (Read 3348 times)

RockRescue

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Under Bed Storage box
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:06 PM »
Ok so i got a idea  I am thinking of makeing a Box about 6-8 inches deep  to go under my bed were my spare tire used to go . I want to cut out the bed floor so that becomes the lid .  Any suggestions?     thoughts ?   i am not sure  what to use for the hinge  yet .     I think it will work great to  carry tools and oils in   .  What do you think . I first thought to make it out of aluminum  but i am not sure how to mount it ?

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Under Bed Storage box
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »
I think it's an ausome idea.  In fact, I've been contemplating that for years now.  I think you could use a piano type hinge, but I would look into some sort of a lock to keep it secure.  I think some drain holes might be appropriate too, unless you are able to get it seals up real good.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

RockRescue [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
There is a company by me that make all kinds of tool boxes and truck boxes    they are called Highway products   i am going to go talk to them and see if they have any ideas . also there is a place that builds Fire engines  that i go to alot  i will talk to them and see if we can come up with something .      The hardest part i think is going to be the lid   and trying to get the bed floor to work .       My  idea  is to kinda make a box that would look kinda like a sink   if that makes sence ?  If i go with aluminum  i am not sure how to mount it ?   if i go with steel i could weld it to the bottom of the bed .

RockRescue [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
OK NOTE to self : next time look before i think  :think:  So  toyota made a flaw in my thought  they put a cross member in the way  what were they thinking ?   anyways   it looks like i have room for a 12 x24x6  inch   box   i will have one wiped up this week . Also  i am thinking  just make a box with a flange around the edge and drop it in from the top   again like a sink  and then just have a lid made out of diamond plate or something .  I can always cover it with a bed mat and you would not see it

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
I would make a box with a mounting lip on it then weld it to the bottom of the bed.  Cut the bed floor out for the lid and just use some 3M adhesive weatherstrip between the mounting flange and the lid to keep the weather out.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
you could get a seteel toolbox with a lid cut out the patch in your floor and weld it to the lid of the box that way you retain your bed floor but also have the toolbox weather proof :thumbs:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
IKEA?  :haha:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
An old co-worker did this same thing, used the section of the bed as his lid and a hidden latch that was mounted under the bed just within arms reach from the tail gate. He did a good job of hiding it and it still had a good deal of usable space. I would do the same thing but my exhaust is in the way currently.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:40 AM »
cut this out of the floor of a Kia Sportage for a under the floor storage spot in my Trekker

might convert to something a little bit bigger sometime, but this works

81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

Cobbtunedsti

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2011, 09:54:13 PM »
Looks good:)